Windows 10 login screen not showing up

Whenever I turn on my laptop, the lock screen turns on and I drag the screep up to enter my passwork. The screen gets slightly darker however the login screen never shows up. After a while, it resets to the lock screen, and sometimes the screen just turns black and I cant do anything. Ive tried most things I have seen online, such as running in safe mode (however i dont think my computer ever successfully did that), pressing ctrl+alt+delete, etc. So far nothing has worked. This has happened before, however the other tomes the login screen eventually showed up. It has been a few hours like this and I have a huge project on there that I need to turn in

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Windows start-up failure might be a pc hardware issue,usually it would be in the power supply,or if

desktop,pc MB battery...To chk,if its a laptop,plug in battery charger,if it wasn't plugged in,wait 20

minutes before start-up.Once pc starts,enter the BIOS,chk battery condition,chk for other warnings.

If its a desktop,unplug power,remove pc MB battery,replace with new 2032 series,wait 10-12 minutes,install

new.On pc start,enter BIOS,reset date/time,set to advanced settings,edit for add-on hardware,save and exit

BIOS.Also,most pcs have a MS-DOS utility to chk pc health,dell would be tapping the F12 key on pc start.

Other pc might have similar or boot pc to pc OS installation cd.Read owners manual.Safe-mode must be

able to run,tap the F8 key on pc start,in safe mode select normal,or cmd,in cmd run:  Sfc /Scannow

if safe-mode fails,you have OS corruption....

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It does not have anything to do with the power supply. I took out the hard drive from my laptop and put it in my computer that I built. I was trying to view my files on the drive but it loads for about an hour and doesnt get anywhere. I think something is corrupt on the hard drive because I detached my hard drives that were on my desktop and just loaded from the laptop hard drive. The exact same thing is happening thay was before so I know it is the hard drive. Maybe the OS is corrupt, but can I recover it without losing my files?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Benski,

Since there are steps provided by Andrew E. above, we'd like to confirm if how did it go after performing the troubleshooting steps? Also, let us know if you're still getting the same concern with the login screen that's not showing up so we can provide additional assistance.

We hope to hear from you soon.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I did respond to Andrew and let him know how it went. Nothing fixed the problem and I am still having the same issues. I cant even enter the BIOS or start in safe mode, so I think something in my OS is corrupt 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, however I have tried starting in safe mode in every possible way but it never works. I also cant enter BIOS thats why I think there is a bigger issue 

Hi,

On the lock screen click on the power button on the lower right corner then hold down the shift key while clicking on restart, this will cause the device to boot to the Windows recovery environment screen, from there you can perform repair, recovery, and diagnostics. More detailed info can be found at the links below.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/27649-run-startup-repair-windows-10-a.html

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/the-windows-10-recovery-environment/

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2304-boot-into-safe-mode-windows-10-a.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/rescue-files-when-windows-wont-start/862c143f-9239-4e63-8968-635e8ba9efd6

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winre/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-re-troubleshooting-features

Hope something here helps you and fits your needs.

-Richard

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

When you turn on the PC how far does it get when trying to boot up. does it even get to the OEM splash screen?

When it's trying to startup are you hearing any beeps, if so these are trouble codes that the MoBo is putting out during post so take note of the beep count and pattern.

If you have not yet, disconnect all peripherals including the charger then remove the battery. With the battery out depress and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds to remove all stray/residual electricity from the device then put the battery back in, hook up the charger and then startup the laptop. Believe it or not this often works in a situation like this with laptops.

Good Luck,

-Richard 

23 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It gets all the way to the lockscreen where the time shows and it has my background picture, however when I click the password box never shows up and eventually kicks me back to the previous screen. 

I dont think it has anything to do with the motherboard. In a previous response I said that hooked the hard drive to desktop, booted from that hard drive, and the same exact thing happened on that computer. Thats why Im almost positive it has something to do with the hard drive or OS. 

I tried the trick with holding down the power button and when I turned it on it have me the option to go into advanced setting. I chose to reinstall windows so hopefully that will fix the problem 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on what you've mentioned in the response above, you'll reinstall the Windows operating system. We'd like to confirm if how did it go after reinstalling it? Let us know if your concern has been resolved so we can provide additional help if the issue still persists.

We'll be waiting for your response.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I did reinstall Windows and I can get into my laptop now. I lost all the programs i had downloaded but at least it fixed the problem and I can go on it now 

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 79,415 Applies to: