We can't sign into your account" error message

I bought a Microsoft surface book yesterday. Its the i5 version with 128GB SSD. As we were driving home I set up my account for my laptop with an outlook email account. I was using the face recognition to log in. the first time I logged in, it recognized me, and logged me in. It unlocked the laptop and I was on the desktop page. an error popped up saying "We can't sign into your account: This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost." I signed out and tried a password and it no longer popped up. a few hours later it popped up again and password, face, and pin won't work. I tried resetting my face recognition. I also tried the 2-button rested that was suggested by Microsoft. I tried to run the fix tool that was also suggested but after I restart my computer halfway through like it asks but since I'm not logged in, it can't finish. 

I have two weeks to return it, but the worker I spoke to suggested the surface book to likely last me the 8 years I need for college. I'm worried that it won't last that long if it can't even last ten minutes. 

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Hi Liz,

This could have happened due to several reasons like 2 way verification on your Microsoft account. To resolve your issue, we would like to know more about the issue by answering the following questions below:

• Have you checked the settings in your Microsoft account if 2 way verification is turned on?
  •  Have you tried resetting the password online?

We also found a very informative information given by Kapil Arya MVP on our Community page. You can check this link on the information he provided: We can't sign into your account.

Let us know if  you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just closed my laptop for about an hour and it turned off. when I turned it back on, the problem was fixed. I just now set up 2 way verification. I haven't tried resetting my password. I didn't do anything between posting this and closing my laptop so I'm not sure how it fixed it. will this problem be possible in the future?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just logged out to double check and the message popped up again.

I don't have a two week return period for this device. Would it be beneficial to replace it or is it not a problem with the laptop itself?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This could have happened due to several issues like your driver or the device itself. It could also happen due to the Windows settings issue. It would be best to take advantage of replacing the device and see if the issue still persists. We also suggest that you change your Microsoft account password and turn off 2 way verification.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2020 Views 941 Applies to: