Unable to sign in using PIN: The device that is required by this cryptographic provider is not ready for use.

Split from this thread.

Thanks a lot for the information.

What we can do is link your Microsoft account to the new local profile while making your Linked old profile a local profile.

If the new profile that's linked with your Microsoft account works, we can conclude that the issue is with your old profile, corrupted perhaps.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help further.

This is not a good solution because i have already created new accounts and linked my profile with the new account two times already, but the issue always returns.

So, while creating a new profile works--the problem does not go away. People can't be expected to regularly create new accounts every time this issue occurs.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2019 Views 817 Applies to:

Windows is saying I don't even HAVE a PIN after this error. So I tried to add a new PIN. But now when I click "Add PIN" it says this:

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows is saying I don't even HAVE a PIN after this error. So I tried to add a new PIN. But now when I click "Add PIN" it says this:

Hi,

Just to check, are you still getting the error when you try to set up a PIN?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Uh, seeing as this thread keeps getting dug up and microsoft doesnt seem in a hurry to help, I'm gonna post what helped me solve my problem. Basically what I did is delete the contents of the ngc folder according to solution 1 in this link: https://windowsreport.com/pin-windows-10/

After I did that I could add a new pin again, and the errors never appeared after that.

Cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice. However, I did try that and, eventually, the problem came back again for me. I went to the MS store and they said my user must have been corrupted so I created a new local user, deleted the old, then re-attached my MS account to the new user. But...again... the problem came back.

NOTE: This issue has occurred before and after a complete factory re-imaging of my laptop at an ASUS service center.

My solution is that I've simply disabled PIN login permanently. It clearly has major flaws that MS either is unable to fix or doesn't care to fix.

Sorry this didn't help.