Fingerprint and PIN not working in Winows 10 Pro 1803 (build 17134) (Domain attached)

Under Windows 10 1703, the fingerprint reader worked fine.  When I first upgraded to 1804, the Windows Hello options for PIN and Fingerprint setup were grayed out.  I set the registry to allow domain PIN logins:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"AllowDomainPINLogon"=dword:00000001

Once this was set, the option to set the PIN and scan fingerprints appeared in Windows Hello setup.  Windows Hello setup allowed me to enter a pin (6 digits) and then record 5 fingerprints.

When I login, I do not get an option to login with a PIN.  I get account recovery, SC card reader, password and fingerprint.  If I select password, I can login normally.  If I select fingerprint, I am instructed to scan a registered finger but no matter which finger I use, nothing happens.  I receive no error message, nothing appears in the Windows event logs, nothing. 

Answer
Answer

Could this be part of the Domain security doing.

That's why the registry patch had to be applied to allow Domain logins with a PIN (that also turns on the fingerprint login).  By default, Domain users can't use PIN or fingerprints and 1803 doesn't have a menu option to turn it on.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"AllowDomainPINLogon"=dword:00000001

In my case, the issue was Dell Data Protection (DDP) was not allowing the fingerprint scanner to get to the authentication process.  I uninstalled DDP and (two reboots later) it worked.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I posted a comment yesterday that my fingerprint reader wasn't working for login, although Windows Hello was able to record and store fingerprint scans.  I had to add a Registry patch to get Windows Hello to allow PIN and Fingerprint authentication.

It turns out that the Dell Data Protection (DDP) program interferes with Windows login process for fingerprints.  Uninstalling the DDP (aka Dell Data Security or DDS) resolved the issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2020 Views 5,284 Applies to: