Completely Remove PIN-logon ability

EVERY time my computer comes back from sleep, hibernate, screensaver, etc. Windows asks me to set up a PIN logon. I do not want to to this, and want it to stop asking. I have tried multiple "fixes" that good people have provided (found via Google), but nothing stops Windows from asking me to set up a PIN. How can I take control of my machine and make it stop asking me to set up something I don't want to do.

Currently running WIN10 64-bit v.1803 build 17134.285

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2019 Views 99 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you already clicked this button? 

Also, the PIN is far more secure than a regular password.  In addition to being faster to enter, these are actually more secure than your password because it is a form of 2-factor identification. The PIN you set can only be used on that one specific physical computer.  So where a password leak could let anyone use it from anywhere in the world, using a PIN keeps you secure from online threats because someone would have to have "something you know" and "something you have", providing a second factor of protection. That's why credit cards and online services and banks use PINs.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I disagree that the PIN is more secure.  Now my blood pressure is still up several notches because I just suffered having to create a PIN when installing 1803.  I'd argue that the blasted PIN is less secure just because it's different on every computer.  When you have no idea what the PIN is and you have a Post-It note on the computer with the PIN, is it really more secure?

The original poster is correct.  This is MY MACHINE, not Microsoft's.  Let me be a full admin on the box, stop the UAC nagging, and let me get some work done!  

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not really a matter of opinion. PIN is far more secure because it's a second factor.  Second factor is always more secure.

Obviously if you cannot remember it and use a sticky-note, that's a separate problem.

And again, no one makes you use a PIN.  It's your computer, so the decision is always yours.  You don't even need to use a password at all, if you don't want one.  Like you said, you own it, so you can do whatever you please.

But most importantly, I ask again: did you already click the remove button? 

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Sorry this didn't help.

ImInot going to argue the logic of using two-factor authentication, as im all for it. If i had something like a CAC, i i wowod happily use a pin to login. I'm tired of windows telling me to create a PIN. I dont want one on this machine.

Sorry this didn't help.

It should not be bugging you about it. If you choose not to create a pin you should be able to not have one, all it should require is your own decision to avoid clicking the create pin button.

Did you already click the remove button outlined in the picture earlier? 

Sorry this didn't help.

And yet, here we are...

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you elaborate?  What's happening?

Did you already click the remove button I asked about? 

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm with MErickson on this.   He came with a question about, essentially, removing a sign in requirement altogether.  Instead I see a snarky thread arguing why we should have a PIN.  Answer the person's question.  If you don't know, then say so and forward it on to someone who might.  The thread looks like you were intentionally irritating them.  What is MVP anyway?  I assumed you are someone who is qualified to answer the question and that is Microsoft's way of telling us you are.  Answer the question or refer us to someone who can.  Geez, I got annoyed just reading the thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

EVERY time my computer goes to sleep, hibernates, or even comes back from screensaver; after putting in my password to log-in it says I should set up a PIN log-in:

I don't want to do this. I press next (Only option), then have to press cancel on the PIN input screen. The only viable option to NOT make a PIN login after this is to press the "I'll set up a PIN later" option (little link above the keyboard icon in the bottom left:

Does my frustration make sense?

Walk away from my computer for 5 minutes, take another 5 minutes to tell my computer for the millionth time that I don't want to set up a PIN.

Sorry this didn't help.

There's no reason to say mean things to the guy. I'm sure the initial lack of assistance on his part was purely due to misunderstanding. Rather than turning this question into some kind of flame war where, potentially, someone gets in trouble; we should conduct ourselves like adults.

Sorry this didn't help.