Can't change windows 10 welcome screen name

When I got this new computer, I registered it with my Microsoft account.  Now when I start my computer, the welcome screen opens with "minndog" my long-standing username I use with Microsoft.  I cannot find an option to change the welcome screen name from minndog to a different one.  I have gone to control panel>user accounts>, but there is no "Change your account name" option there, like others say they have.

Questions:

A. Is there an option to change the welcome screen name to a different one I choose? If not ...  

B. Can I somehow change the welcome screen name to the computer name? If not ...

C. How can I un-register my computer from my Microsoft account? 

Hi,

Since your Microsoft account is linked to your device, you may change your display name by signing in here: https://account.microsoft.com then click Edit name. It should look like this:

Then, make sure to Sync your settings. Go to Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings > Sync settings: On.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I had tried that but under "edit name" you have to enter both a first and last name.  Plus I don't need to edit my real name, which that would do, I am trying to get the welcome screen that appears when I first turn on my computer to display a one word nickname, but the one I choose it to display,  not "minndog" that it currently displays which has been my Microsoft account username for years.  I do not want my computer welcome screen display name to be my Microsoft account username.

Why does Microsoft make this so difficult to do??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is by design. This functionality is only available using a Local account. Since your device is linked to your Microsoft account, it will really use the information that's on your profile. If you want this to be added on Windows features,we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items. For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:  

1. Press Windows key + S and type Feedback. 

2. Select Feedback Hub > Hamburger icon > Feedback Add new feedback. 

3. Select the Suggestion, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

All the best.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So the solution I found is:
Settings > Accounts > Family & Other People > Add Someone Else To This PC > I Dont Have This Persons Sign-In Information > Add User Without Microsoft Account.
Create the new account with a new username and password.
So then it takes you back to the Family & Other People window. Click on the new user you just created, change it from standard to administrator, sign off your current account, log in to the newly created account, find your way back to the Family & Other People setting, click on the account you want to delete and click Remove.
Now I have an unlinked account with my prefered log-in name on my windows 10 computer.
Whew. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like a lot of work. You can just go to Settings > Accounts > Your info > Sign in with a local account instead. It's a lot easier and you don't have to delete anything.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 21, 2024 Views 419 Applies to: