Wizard could not start (microphone setup)

An error occurred installing my c920 webcam for audio and it seems to have removed my voice recording. I checked Steam -> Settings and it's not picking up my sound but when I use the control panel "listen to audio", it picks up my recording just fine. Something gives and the "The Wizard could not start" is not launching the "wizard". Not sure why this is called a "wizard"... is there not a better name suited to describe a walk through? I digress.

In the speech recognition control panel:

"Control Panel\Ease of Access\Speech Recognition" --> "Advanced speech options"

When selecting:

->Advanced

-->Use this audio input device (Headset Microphone HyperX 7.1)

Select OK

I get the (Not Responding) "ghost" screen. 

Error popup: "Windows Shell Common DII is not responding.

When I go to debug (Microsoft Visual Studio), the output shows the debug information:

'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\combase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\SHCore.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'rundll32.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imagehlp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
The thread 0x2ae4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x23e0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[15624] rundll32.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

I've tried the troubleshooter but it isn't solving my problem.

Please help,

Jessie

Answer
Answer
I have just had this problem on 2 computers and it was fixed after going to "Settings" -> "Privacy Settings" -> "App Permissions \ Microphone" and turning on "Allow apps to access your microphone".

566 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2024 Views 40,961 Applies to: