Windows 10 - Whenever I plug in a USB Device Windows doesn't install driver. Have to manually do it.

I just bought a new laptop that upgraded me to Windows 10 and whenever I try to plug anything into the usb ports the device shows up in the device manager, but I get a code 28 error. I go to update the drivers with windows update and I get an error. So i pick from list and more often than not i get an error but it miraculously works. Here is a list of what I have plugged in so far:

- Razer naga 2014 Mouse

- Iphone 5

- Xbox One Controller

- Wireless mouse

- WD 1TB External HD

All of these get the error and then work after trying to install a driver. 

Here's a link to the specs of my laptop:

http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/GE72-2QD-Apache-Pro.html#hero-specification

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2019 Views 11,881 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

I would suggest you to remove/unplug all the devices connected to your system and reboot again. After rebooting connect the devices and install the drivers for your device. You can update drivers from the Device Manager.

Follow the steps to update drivers from the Device Manager:

1. Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.

2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see if there are any warning symbols. If yes update the drivers.

3. Right click and click on Properties, and go to Driver tab and click on Update driver.

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 says it can't find any driver for any of my USB2.0 flash drives when

searching the web via update driver as per your instructions below

Is there some sort of registry corruption ?

"Follow the steps to update drivers from the Device Manager:

1. Right click on Start button, type Device Manager and Enter.

2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see if there are any warning symbols. If yes update the drivers.

3. Right click and click on Properties, and go to Driver tab and click on Update driver."

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
Please confirm if the usb drives are shown in Windows explorer and Device manager.
To check the status in Device manager> Right click on start>Device manager<disk drives
Check if it is show with a yellow exclamation mark. Open USB and uninstall the drivers> restart the computer and let Windows install all the drivers automatically.

Let us know the results. 

Rohit Chettri
Forum Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmm, interesting advice.

I uninstalled 3 of the 6 usb ports and on restart none of the usb ports worked e.g.

the keyboard and mouse, so I was totally screwed, as they do not get reinstalled on restart,

you have to login to Windows (which I couldn't do).

Fortunately I had saved a restore point myself.

Going through recovery to restore point it failed the first 3 times with unexpected error 0x8000ffff.

The fourth time it worked and I have my usb ports back, although the wifi now doesn't work, but

my apple devices have no problem. Have had to ethernet connect via a huge cable through my hallway.

I unistalled just the usb with the Flash drive on it and windows  failed to install the driver

again, after "searching the web" as it could not find a driver (yellow exclamation mark)

It makes the connection sounds when plugged in but does not connect or appear in Windows Explorer,

just device manager as USB DISK 2.0 down (no driver), under USB, not under disk drives.

3 days of my time taken so far and still no further forward.

Really getting to like Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have now purchased a USB 3,0 flash drive from Kingston.

Windows 10 still says there is no compatible driver, as it does for all USB flash drives I try to plug in.

Kingston do not provide a driver (as it is standard)

What can I do ??

Sorry this didn't help.

Is the answer to reset my PC back to factory settings (8.1) then reinstall everything

I ever installed then restore all my files manually ?

If so I will leave it a LONG time before I try to upgrade to Windows 10 again

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peter,

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing regarding this issue and also for the delay in getting back to you. Do not worry. Let me help you in fixing this issue.

Have you updated all the drivers in the Computer? If not, I suggest that you do the same through
Device Manager.   

I would suggest you update the drivers from Device Manager and check if it helps. You may also download and install the latest drivers along with the Chipset Drivers, Firmware and BIOS updates for Windows 10 from the manufacturer's website if available. If Windows 10 drivers aren't available, then we suggest you to download the Windows 7/8 drivers to install them in the compatibility mode. Refer to the following article for help to do the same:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance regarding this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if you read the previous comments but I can NOT update the drivers through Device Manager

and believe me I have tried for the last 7 days.

For every USB connected drive it says Windows could not find a compatible driver

After uninstalling a USB controller and restarting Windows 10 even said it couldn't find a driver for that,

so gradually my PC ports are disappearing.

I used the Windows upgrade software, so I don't have a setup disk or the old drivers to fall back to now,

as the upgrade overwrites them all.

My portable Samsung disk drive appears under disk drives, as working normally but

it doesn't appear in Windows Explorer or to other applications, as the USB port

is marked as having no driver.

This is a quote from a flash drive manufacturer

"Unfortunately, the update to Windows 10 was not as simple and straight-forward as Microsoft would have hoped and the most common complaint is that USB connected hardware has ceased to function following the upgrade.
We hope that Microsoft will be releasing patches and hotfixes to address these and other issues, which will once again make it possible for our customers to use our USB based products" 

Was Windows 10 released or did it escape ?

I await some kind of help

Sorry this didn't help.

I have added this to another similar thread:

In the lack of a sensible Microsoft response I have solved this

A)

As Windows 10 would not install any USB Flash/disk drivers I decided to look at why it was failing in more detail.

I looked at the location of the other drivers and tried to get it to look there manually (windows\system32\drivers or driverstore)

Still "no compatible driver found"

Tried to install via the selectable hardware list but that just gave a list of hardware not on this PC.

It seemed to be (in the greyed out box) searching for a .inf file.

I searched the disk for folders containing inf files and found WinSxS under the windows folder

Tried manually telling the update driver process to search there instead of Lord knows where it was looking.

Hoorah, found a driver, "Windows cannot install an unsigned driver", Boo

B)

Left clicked  the Windows button and selected the POWER option, which for some reason contains a restart box.

Held down SHIFT and right click and it offers you an advanced options box where you can change the startup settings

Select F7 to disable the signed driver enforcement and restart

Perform (A) again

Driver installed correctly and my USB drives all began to work.

The system was corrupted during the upgrade process form Windows 8.1 but more likely during the automated Windows update process afterwards .

I feel that any senior citizen who has bought a Windows PC for email should be expected to problem solve the above

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.