Windows 10 version 1803 April 2018 update broke bluetooth volume control.

My pc automatically updated to the April 2018 update, version 1803.

After restarting my PC I notice my volume control via Bluetooth will not adjust the volume anymore. Speakers are Creative T30

However if I am in WMP or iTunes the slider changes the volume.

If I use my Microsoft keyboard volume keys or the speaker Icon on the taskbar the slider moves but no volume is changed. However if I slide all the way left the volume turns off.

Anyone else having issues.

Any ideas or is a Microsoft patch already required?

I have tried uninstalling driver and rebooting but no change.

Cheers

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 12,505 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Windows bluetooth dev here

If anyone can't control their BT speaker/headphones volume from the PC after the update, can you share a product link to what device you're using?

We added "absolute volume" in the last update which lets the Windows volume slider directly control the local volume of BT speakers/headphones who support it.

Sorry to hear this is happening, I already made a note to look into the Creative T30/T50, Edifier 1700BT, JBL Bar 5.1, we want this to work as best as possible so let me know the devices you're having issues with and we'll look into it.

Thanks guys!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Microsoft is aware of reports that the Absolute Volume feature is incompatible with some Bluetooth devices, resulting in the inability to adjust the Bluetooth device’s volume.  If you are experiencing this issue, neither the volume slider in the taskbar, nor the device’s volume controls have any effect on volume.

To resolve this issue, first make sure you’ve installed the latest Windows Updates.  A solution was included in the October 24, 2018—KB4462933 (OS Build 17134.376) update for Windows 10 version 1803.  To check for updates, select the Start button, and then go to Settings> Update & security> Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Three devices that are known to experience the issue will automatically have the Absolute Volume feature disabled and should no longer experience the issue once you’ve installed KB4462933:  Creative T30 Wireless Speakers, Edifier R2000 DB, and the JBL Go.

For other Bluetooth devices, once you’ve installed KB4462933 or once you've installed Windows 10 version 1809, you can resolve the issue by disabling Absolute Volume manually by making a change in the registry.  (Warning:  Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. For added protection, back up the registry before attempting to modify it.)

To disable the Absolute Volume feature manually:

1.     In the Search box, type cmd.  Right-click Command Prompt in the Search results and select Run as administrator.

2.     In the Command Prompt window, type the following command:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Bluetooth\Audio\AVRCP\CT /v DisableAbsoluteVolume /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

To re-enable the Absolute Volume feature:

1.     In the Search box, type cmd.  Right-click Command Prompt in the Search results and select Run as administrator.

2.     In the Command Prompt window, type the following command:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Bluetooth\Audio\AVRCP\CT /v DisableAbsoluteVolume /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

You may need to restart Windows for the registry change to take effect.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.