Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Update) causes Realtek Ethernet to cease working

I have a Realtek RTL 8111C Network Adapter. In Device Manager it is listed as "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". When I updated my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I had no issues. However, upon installing the Windows 10 Anniversary update (version 1607) my ethernet connection ceased to work. I confirmed the ethernet wire is fine by connecting another computer to it and was able to get online.

Then I ran the Windows Troubleshooter which confirmed the Anniversary update did not like the driver:

1) Click the "Start" icon

2) Type "Troubleshoot"

3) Click  "Troubleshooting - Control Panel"

4) Click "View all"

5) Click "Network Adapter"

6) Click "Advanced"

7) Make sure the box is ticked for "Apply repairs automatically" and if the option is listed "Run as administrator"

8) Click "Next"

Results:

Problems Found: there might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter - Not Fixed

9) Click on "View detailed information"

Issues Found: There might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter. Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.

Then I opened the Device Manager, went to the Network Adapter section and opened the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller properties to see what driver was installed:

Driver Provider: Realtek

Driver Date: 4/5/2015

Driver Version: 9.1.404.2015

Then I went to Realtek's website to download the newest driver they had and installed it and rebooted the desktop. Then I opened the Device Manager, went to the Network Adapter section and opened the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller properties to see what driver was installed:

Driver Provider: Realtek

Driver Date: 4/22/2016

Driver Version: 10.9.422.2016

Still no ethernet connection. I ran the Windows Troubleshooter again, got the same results... issue with the driver.

Therefore, I need either:

A) how to get past this ethernet driver issue

B) how to uninstall the anniversary update. Note I already tried to going to Windows Update > Update History >Uninstall Updates... the Anniversary Update is not listed as an update... looks like Microsoft isn't allowing normal users to roll that back.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Which security software is installed in the system?

Restart your computer, unplug and re-plug the Ethernet cable and check.

The issue might arise due to firewall from the security software blocking the connection, so I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Disable (preferably uninstall) the security software (if any) installed in the system and check if the issue is reproduced.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

To install anniversary update through Windows update refer to the following suggestions provided from the below link:

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 using Windows Update

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

32 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 10,777 Applies to: