Windows 10 Printer Lists - unable to update printer list from Windows Update

hi,

I have some old laptops running Win 10 Pro 32 bit.  The machines with 1703 have no problems updating the Printer List from Windows Update when we need to install a legacy printer driver such as Brother HL-1450 and others. (No driver is available direct from manufacturer).

But 1709 and now 1803-RTM both time out, often within 15 seconds advising it cannot update the printer list, and to try later.  This issue has existed for weeks.  

I have tried running windows update troubleshooter.  I also tried stopping services and deleting the Contents of the Software Distribution folder.  I've also tried a completely clean install of 1709 on one laptop.  Printer lists just simply refuse to update.   Cumulative and other updates download and install just fine.

The only workaround I found to successfully install a legacy printer driver onto 1709/1803 machine, was to use a machine running 1703 and configure a shared printer using the desired legacy driver previously retrieved from Windows Update.  Then permit the 1709 laptops to connect to the shared printer on 1703 laptop.  Once the driver is installed on the 1709 laptop, I can then set up the local printer.

I've seen a few other similar posts reporting same symptoms but with no successful resolution.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Further to my above post, I am still witnessing the issue with clean installs of Win 10 1803 (May 2018) where Windows Update fails to retrieve an updated printers list.  The above issue occurs when trying to install tcpip networked printer, such as a legacy Brother HL-1450 laser printer connected to a network print server.

I've since discovered two other methods of installing the legacy driver after browsing the web for solutions.  I don't know if this method will work with all legacy printers but it does for the ancient HL-1450:

- connecting the printer directly to the PC using a USB, seems to enable Windows to auto detect the printer model, and then appear to automatically retrieve the appropriate driver direct from Windows Update.  Once the driver is installed, a tcpip printer can then be successfully configured.

- where it is not possible/practical to directly connect the printer to the PC, then you may be able to manually install the legacy printer driver by searching and downloading it from the Microsoft catalogue.  Example below is for HL-1450

Microsoft catalogue - Brother HL-1450 driver

Locate the Windows, 7/8/8.1 drivers.

There will be drivers for x86, AMD and IA64.  

For 64 bit Windows 10, I discovered I had to use the 'AMD' platform drivers for the HL-1450.

For 32 bit, I guess 'x86' drivers should be used.

IA64 should not be confused with x64, and did not appear to install when I tried them on 64 bit Windows 10 Pro.

Now configure the tcpip printer as normal but do not let Windows Update update the printer list.  Instead, choose 'Have Disk' option and point to the INF file found in the earlier extracted CAB files.   You will then be presented with a short list of printer models.  The driver will then be installed and the tcpip printer should successfully install.

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 15, 2023 Views 4,761 Applies to: