Windows 10 Not Recognizing 7.1 Surround Sound Headset

Hi lads,

I recently updated my computer with the September W10 update, and just of today have noticed that W10 is not officially recognizing my device as a 7.1 Surround Sound Headset. Prior to the update, W10 recognized this fine and I was able to apply the respective Spatial Sound properties under the Sound options. Now it seems there is no 7.1 option whatsoever, and the option to enable Dolby Atmos is also vacant.

When looking under Controller Information in General, the computer identifies the Headset as (Generic USB Audio). I am positive that a 7.1 device is far from 'generic'.

I am using a Razer Kraken 7.1 V2 Headset and have tried a numerous amount of troubleshooting, including the following:

- Re-calibrating the Headset through the Razer Synapse application

- Uninstalling/reinstalling audio drivers & sound devices

- Updating audio drivers & sound devices

It is obvious that the latest update has somehow rendered my device invisible to W10, so my only other option at this point could be a system restore to before I did the update. However, I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem and-or if there is a fix for it.

Thanks,

- L

Hi Lachlan,

I'm Stefano an Independent Advisor, here to help you.
Please follow this procedure:

1. Press WINDOWS + X
2. Click on "Device Manager"
3. Click on "Audio Input and output"
4. Right click on your headset (it should be listed as Generic USB Audio)
5. Click on "Update driver"
6. Click on "Search software driver from the computer"
7. Click on "Choose from a list of driver available on computer"
8. If there is the Razer driver select it and click "Next"

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you can't see the correct driver, please perform Synapse update through Settings >> Check for Updates. If the updates not able to run or Synapse not able to load, please uninstall Synapse and download the latest Synapse Framework from Razer support site.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Stefano,

I recently installed update KB4517211 (OS Build 18362.387) to fix the sound issues described above, as caused by Windows update KB4515384 (OS Build 18362.356). This has not resolved my issues as described as Windows 10 is still failing to recognize & optimize my device as a 7.1 audio device.

I have, again, reinstalled & configured the Synapse application; checked/fixed/updated my drivers (including your suggested method); and restarted my computer numerous times. None of my troubleshooting has come up with a solution.

The above image is what I am shown whenever I now go into the Spatial Sound tab on my Headset properties. Prior to update KB4515384, I had a tickbox option to enable 7.1 Surround Sound as well as the additional Dolby Atmos option in the dropdown menu. As you can see above, however, those options are no longer existent.

Thanks,

- L

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

**Update**

I have restored my Windows 10 to the previous version I was on before update KB4515384 and this has solved my problem. I am going to remain on this previous version for a while until Microsoft comes up with some further fixes/patches for the sound-related issues caused by KB4515384.

For your interest, this is how my Spatial Sound properties are supposed to look when using the Razer Kraken 7.1 v2 Headset:

Note the Dolby Atmos sound format + the "Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound" tickbox option.

I am uncertain as to whether there is a driver incompability issue with the new Windows update that fixes KB4515384's audio problems, relating to the Razer hardware/software, and furthermore do not know if it is Microsoft or Razer's end that needs to update their software in order for this particular device to be fully compatible.

In either case, I will not mark this issue as resolved as the only workaround is downgrading to a previous version of Windows prior to KB4515384. This is still a persisting bug that needs attention.

Thanks,

- L

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't recommend rolling back for stability reasons...

Don't worry about the option not being available because it seems that it's always enabled as long as you have a format selected. (Very evident with media and games when switching between off, Windows Sonic, and Dolby ATMOS for Headphones on my system.)

I love how these "independent advisors" keep referring to the same methods when they can just get straight to the point.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This doesn't work. I tested it in games, and I'm clearly getting 2.0. If I roll back, like the person above, I CLEARLY hear 7.1 in games

Just enabling sonic or atmos is NOT providing virtual 7.1 unless the game specifically is coded to use Sonic or Atmos

David A. Dutton
* Computer Engineer, Administrator, & Programmer
* Neuromuscular Massage Therapist

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unless that shows 5.1 or 7.1 games will use 2.0 (unless the game specificity supports Sonic or Atmos). So whatever MS did, it broke virtual 7.1 in the headphones

David A. Dutton
* Computer Engineer, Administrator, & Programmer
* Neuromuscular Massage Therapist

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It only works for games that run on X3DAudio. (TES:Skyrim, PUBG, FEAR 2, etc.) Kind of a let-down, but there are plenty of other solutions depending on the game you're playing.

For example: DirectSound can use Creative ALchemy (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/18249-tutorial-how-to-setup-eax-for-tdm-on-any-soundcard/) or DSOAL. (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65094)

You can also optimize your headset for HRTF mixing by downloading HeSuVi. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/)

Both of these really do make a difference with my old stereo headphones, though I also have a modded Realtek audio driver to support it.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you tell me exact version and build of your windows i need to install that one because it doesn't work on mine.I use razer kraken X 7.1 and i tried EVERYTHING to fix my issue

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2021 Views 45,262 Applies to: