Windows 10 & LPT Parallel Printer Port.

My computer uses a Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L Rev 1.00 motherboard with F8 BIOS, fitted with an Intel 3.15 gigahertz Core2 Duo processor and 4 GB of memory.  Windows 7 Ultimate and my peripherals have worked perfectly since 2010.  I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro on 13th November and have managed to get my peripherals working with the exception of my ancient HP DeskJet 610C printer on the LPT1 parallel port.  After numerous uninstalls and re-installs I found that the problem was connected with the integral LPT port.  When I click on print in Word I first received the error: ‘Error Printing on the HP DeskJet 610C’.  If I attempt to print a second time I receive the error: ‘Printer in an error state’.  If I now open ‘Device Manager’, ‘Ports’, ‘Printer Port (LPT1)’ and change practically any of the settings then close Device Manager the printer works normally and continues to do so until I shut down and re-start my computer.

I have tried uninstalling the LPT driver and re-starting with still the same results.

I have also tried uninstalling the LPT driver, changing the settings from SPP in the BIOS and re-starting with exactly the same result each time.

Any help would be most welcome.

David.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 67,262 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is this fixed for everyone now after the recent updates?

Tim

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Not fixed.  Just did the update and disabled my scheduled command to disable/enable.

Got printer error.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here. The 1-12-2016 update did not cure my LPT port either. Still using the "crutch" fix. (Disable/Enable)

Sorry this didn't help.

I have fixed it with a workaround. In device manager... Ports (COM & LPT)..........PCI   LPT1........Properties......

Port settings.........Change the interrupt setting from whatever it's on to one of the others.

Sometimes still prints after a reboot, sometimes not, so I just change it again. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this fixed for everyone now after the recent updates?

Tim

Not fixed; the update was installed successfully but did not fix the LPT issue.

I do not use the devcon-based workaround which was proposed in this thread but rather change the LPT interrupt settings in device manager back and forth manually (which was also proposed here - thanks).

I noticed that a Windows startup after a normal shutdown or from Energy Saving Mode does not disable the printer; only a restart (either from the start menue or in the process of an update) or bringing down Windows forcefully (e.g. by using the power switch) will disable the LPT port. This behaviour is reproducible an my notebook.

I wonder if anybody from Microsoft support is monitoring this thread - If so it would be very helpful to get an answer on whether MS is aware of or already working on this really annoying issue and by when it will be fixed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't work.  This is just bla bla bla. Just bring back de LPT and Parallel support. Some people use Windows to work and these people needs the LPT and Parallel ports working fine just like in the past. Microsoft "ENGINEER" CAN YOU HEAR US??????

Sorry this didn't help.

I removed the printer driver, set the interrupts to "Use any interrupt", unpluged the printer power (Laserjet 4L) for a few seconds, and restarted the computer. It kept the interrupt setting (at least for now) and the printer worked.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I only use the printer a couple of times a month, so this is a fine solution for me.

Tim

Sorry this didn't help.

This fixed my laser Universal M-300 on a parrallel card running Windows 10. Update took it offline its a fix. Thanks for this!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok MicroSPEND.  This is absurd.

You BROKE our computers with your new O/S.

FIX IT.

I'm SO close to Linux from now on.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 10 on an MSI computer I built in 2011 and initially, the HP Laserjet 4 Plus printer on the LPT port on the PCI card worked fine. Then comes the 1511 update. HP printer wouldn't print. Thank goodness I went to to this site. I did the disable and enable the LPT port on Device Manager for awhile, but as others have said, that only lasts until you reboot.

So, like many others here, I bought a parallel-to-USB adapter from a company called CDW. Initially, it didn't work. I used the manual and virtual port method described elsewhere here.  No prints.

Please be smarter than me and never assume the adapter is plugged ALL THE WAY into the printer. That was the problem. When I firmly plugged it in, the adapter, the printer worked fine, including on reboot.

Now, as for Microsoft, the only way I could contact them was with chat. When I presented the 1511 update problem to them, twice they disconnected. Might have been an accident once, but not twice. Why have they not fixed this?

Not everyone can afford a new printer with a $200 cartridge that runs out in two weeks. These legacy HP printers work and work for a cheaper price.  Very glad to find this discussion and tap in. It really helped and I am glad for all the discussion.

Sorry this didn't help.