Windows 10 is not recognizing a Thunderbolt 2 device

Hi!

I've just bought a NAS (QNAP TVS-1282T) and a PC with the motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX.

The motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3 via USB Type-C connector and the NAS is Thunderbolt 2.

Once i connect the NAS via Thunderbolt 2 cable into the USB Type C port with this Startech adapter i get this message: "the last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it".
If i go to the device manager in Windows i see that under "USB Device (Universal Serial Bus)" there is a "Billboard Device" reporting an error with Code 10. (screenshot here)
(it's in italian. A literal translation would be: Impossible to start the device (Code 10). You specified an unexisting device)
I tried to click on it and automatically look for drivers, but it says that the device drivers are up to date.
The NAS works for sure, because if i connect it via thunderbolt on my girlfriend macbook it works.

So, how can i make this work via Thunderbolt 2 on my Windows PC?
I've spent 13K€ on this setup (NAS + PC), you can imagine i cannot work without Thunderbolt!

Additional details:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX. Bios Version F3. All drivers installed. It supports Thunderbolt 3
- Windows 10 Version 1511, Build OS 10586.633
- Gigabyte tech support said a Thunderbolt 2 device would work with this Motherboard using that adapter. I've asked them before buying all this stuff

Thanks for your help

Hi Alberto,

To troubleshoot the issue, please follow the instructions available on this article: "This device cannot start" Code 10 error in Device Manager in Windows.

Please note that the article is applicable for Windows 10 version 1607, and one of the steps will ask you to install the latest update for Windows 10.

Keep us posted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I've updated Windows, but in the registry i cannot find the keys that the article says.

Look at this screenshot: https://gyazo.com/61781ffcd6603003794e2aaeb81fa13d

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you also checked if you have the latest driver installed on the computer? If so, you may run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and change compatibility settings manually on this link.

Also, you can use Microsoft easy fix to run the Windows troubleshooter to find and fix problems with devices and printers.

Let us know how it goes.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey all, I was having this problem too and finally figured it out. This fix could apply to anyone with a Gigabyte Thunderbolt 3 certified motherboard, it will solve "Billboard Device" errors including "error 10":

On the Gigabyte website we are instructed to download and install a firmware update to upgrade to Thunderbolt 3 capability (http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/Utility.aspx#de). The instructions say:

"Please follow the steps instructed after executing Thunderbolt FW Update Tool, remove the system power cord for at least 30 seconds after FW update. Thunderbolt function will be available after system powers on."

The problem is the wording in these instructions, what it SHOULD say is this:

1) Download the zip file and decompress it.
2) Run the setup file and install the program (this will take 2-3 minutes and will have several steps)

Note: it appears a lot of people (including me) stopped here and assumed the update was complete, however, this is not the case!

3) After the program has finished installing go to C:\program files (x86)\GIGABYTE\flashTBT and run the file "flashTBT_100.exe". This program will flash the BIOS and upgrade it to Thunderbolt 3 capability.

So yeah, that's it! Everything is working great now. It's a really simple fix, but until Gigabyte updates the wording in their instructions I suspect people are going to continue to have this problem.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

3) After the program has finished installing go to C:\program files (x86)\GIGABYTE\flashTBT and run the file "flashTBT_100.exe". This program will flash the BIOS and upgrade it to Thunderbolt 3 capability.

They dont come with the flashTBT_100.exe file as of the newest downloads for the Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX motherboards. I have looked at other thunderbolt drivers and cant find it there either. Basically my USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on my computer reads as a USB-C port with card readers and the like, but my thunderbolt 3 devices it wont read. I just downloaded and installed v 16.1.47.275 of the thunderbolt software from Gigabyte.  Also there are no instructions in the .zip (link here)

I only get the "try improving USB Connection" message or "does not recognize USB device" and I can go no further.

I will try the unplug power source for 30 seconds, but as this is a custom build and I'm pretty sure I've done that already multiple times, I dont hold out much hope

Any and all help is greatly appreciated as I bought this board specifically for the TB 3 capabilities for my line of work.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2024 Views 25,188 Applies to: