Windows 10 installer never finds Chipset Drivers

Hi

When I've cleanly installed Windows 10 on four different computers with an Intel chipset, the Windows 10 installer never finds or installs the chipset drivers.  The only thing Windows 10 does detect and install is the Intel Management Engine, but not the actual chipset drivers.

I've had to manually install the Windows 8.1 versions of the Intel chipset drivers from the computer manufacturer and then manually update these chipset drivers in the Device Manager, which Windows 10 then updates when requested - but Windows Update itself does not, strangely?  Surely Windows 10 Update is supposed to install the newer driver versions????

My question is: will Microsoft fix this problem? 

Given that chipset drivers have to be installed before all other drivers, I'm surprised this problem still exists five months after Windows 10 has been released.

I don't know if this problem affects other brands of chipsets?

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2018 Views 951 Applies to:

Windows 10 installs a Windows 10 driver if there is one available, a generic driver if a full driver is not available or it installs nothing at all, annoying people who may no longer have sound or Wi-Fi.

It does the above regardless of the fact that a Windows 8.1 driver might fit the bill perfectly. The problem is with the Device manufacturers not labelling their Windows 8 drivers as suitable for Windows 10..

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 10 is not detecting the chipset.

When I installed Windows 10 cleanly, I would connect to the internet during the installation and while most drivers get installed and a few more from Windows Update after the install, the chipset hardware is not even detected, despite the fact that Windows 10 drivers for it do exist; you update the (manually installed) chipset drivers in the Device Manager and it will download and install the correct (and up-to-date) Windows 10 chipset drivers. 

The problem appears to be that Windows 10 is not actually detecting the chipset, despite Windows 10 drivers being available for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, im my case Windows 10 must be doing something right. There are no Windows 10 drivers for my aging computer (the latest are dated 2012), and yet everything works as well as it ever did when  running Windows Vista, 7, and 8/8.1..

Was your computer giving you problems before?

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Sorry this didn't help.

No problems before.

I test the hardware and cooling to make sure everything works properly.

Chipset drivers are needed for everything else to work properly.  Without the chipset drivers already installed, the other hardware may not function properly and the computer feels slower without the chipset drivers.  Having installed and updated the chipset drivers on these computers I mentioned earlier, the performance is noticeably better.

Unless the Windows 10 setup is a version from a computer manufacturer, then ideally the Windows 10 setup would detect and install the Intel Management Engine and chipset drivers first, reboot and continue to detect and install other devices.

Sorry this didn't help.

Device Manager showing no chipset, straight after a clean install of Windows 10 Home.

After running the Intel Chipset utility app and then updating each chipset device within the Device Manager, everything is now up-to-date.

Windows was therefore able to install the latest (2015) chipset drivers, but did detect the chipset in the first place. 

As recommended, the chipset drivers were installed and updated before installing all the other device drivers.

I can only conclude that Windows 10 does not detect the chipset by itself.

Sorry this didn't help.

No solution so far????

Sorry this didn't help.