Windows 10 - how to unlock the drive, error "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again".

Original Title:Windows 10 - how to unlock the drive.

Hi, i dont know if you can help me but i have just installed windows 10 and its telling me "the drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" but i dont know how to unlock the drive 

any help i would be grateful for 

thanks for your time

coral 

Question Info

Last updated July 7, 2019 Views 25,257 Applies to:

Hi Coral,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with windows 10.

The cause for this error is normally a corrupt MBR or BCD file. To resolve this issue, there are a few things you may want to try.

Method 1

Boot into Advanced Boot Options. From the WinRE screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt. Run Check Disk using CMD. You may use the chkdsk /r command.

Method 2

If a system file required for booting up has become corrupted, running System File Checker may help you.

Summary

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected. For example, some Windows functions may not work, or Windows may crash. System file check works on Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1, and win 10 

I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below in order to run SFC scan on your computer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Method 3

You may be required to change the active partition using diskpart. An Active partition is the one that your BIOS detects is the one that will start your computer.

It is important to note that changing Active Partition wrongly may make your computer unbootable. So do not by mistake, mark a partition as Active, if it does not contain the NTDLR loader for your operating system.

To do this, enter the following commands:

diskpart

List disk

Now select the disk – it will typically be Disk 0 – and set it as the Active disk. Assuming it is Disk 0, the commands become:

Select disk 0

Now list the partitions using:

List partition

Assuming your partition number is 0, the command becomes

Select partition 0

To make it the Active partition, type the following and hit Enter:

Active

Exit diskpart.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

When I arrive at "list partitions" I only have 1,2 and 3 not 0. Unsure how to proceed. 

Sorry this didn't help.

1 primary 350mb, 2 primary 697gb, 3 recovery 450mb

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and try the methods provided below.

Some PCs may need long time to download Windows 10, depending on the quality of the internet connection.

Tip - If your Windows 10 download is taking too long, try disconnecting any USB devices and extended display cables that may be connected.

Refer to the section "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?” in the link below for creating the tool.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the installation media, try the methods provided below: 

Method 1: Perform an Automatic Repair of Windows 10 using its Recovery Media.

a) Boot the computer from the USB Recovery Drive.

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d) From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e) Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f) In the “Advanced Options” screen, click “Automatic Repair”.

g) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete Automatic Repair.

Method 2: Perform a chkdsk scan.

Please follow these steps after booting the computer from the Windows 10 Recovery media.

a) Boot from that USB stick and press Shift+F10

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer”.

d) Click on “Troubleshoot” and then select “Advanced Options”.

e) Click on “Command Prompt” and type the following commands and press “Enter” after each command:

x:\>chkdsk /f /v /r /b /offlinescanandfix c:

NOTE: Make sure c: is your boot drive with your OS by running.

x:\>diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

DISKPART> select disk 0

DISKPART> list volume

DISKPART> exit

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this issue but when I put List disk I get the response " no fixed disks to show" What does that mean? I tried automatic repair but it just runs for hours.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Recently my Win10 pc stopped booting due to some sort of error.  After letting autorepair try and try and try I gave up and created a recover media DVD.  Alas, this is unable to fix the boot issue, ending up with "drive where windows resides is locked", unlock drive and try again.  This is repeatable and has brought things to a full stop.  So, I tried your method 2.  C is indeed my bootdrive, and I verified by using diskpart as above. 

My problem is the chkdsk command above.  I keeps giving me a "the drive, the path, or the filename is invalid" error.  If I just command "chkdsk" it works, telling me it's read only as I haven't put in an /f parameter, but it runs on the DVD drive (disk 0).  should I try using diskpart to select the C drive?  It's almost as if the command structure has changed since you wrote this, is that possible?

Ideas? 

cjack99

Sorry this didn't help.

I did what you a suggest. It seemed that sime repair operations have been performed. But now  and as a result I cannot get even to various repair options and to command prom.

When I switch on my computer even pressing on F9 aget the folloowing message:

the exception unknown software exception (0x00000505) occured in application at location 0x00007FFC7891F28

The message is from logonUI.exe - application error

what should I do?

Alexander Khait

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

once more I managed to arrive to various repair possibilities. How can I help to myself?

Alexander Khait

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Alexander;  I've been there, done that.  Short answer, if you get to this point due to a disk booting error, and if you've left win10 at it's installed defaults.  Then you are pretty much screwed.  I don't believe even a win10 tech with all his tools of the trade can recover this problem.  The exact same issue bricked my 1TB HDD, I ended up replacing it.  I am still slowly recovering data from it.  Please read the following, it's a true story, and I recommend the partial solution of disabling quick boot as an attempt at having a repeat:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/win10-fast-start-up-quick-boot-warning-suggestion/5fec376c-d876-4033-85f6-32c2d2cb5e03

Really sorry, but I think you should start working toward data recovery instead of fixing the drive lock, because you can't unlock it.  Why?  Because "fast startup" (aka "fake shutdown"), the wonder child of Win10 (and 8.1) is El Diablo in disguise.  Just my opinion, based on sad experience with Win10.

Good luck!

cactus

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I got the same problem with the locked hard drive. I can see all of the files on my boot drive if I use the command line from the installation media.

I can probably get all of the important stuff off of the disk by using the copy command. 

Sorry this didn't help.