Windows 10 - Error video could not be decoded

Since I've installed Windows 10 I've had a problem with videos playing within a web browser and the xbox application. They just don't play. Youtube (works fine) any other website doesn't. Also the Xbox Application I get "Error: Video could not be decoded".

So I reinstalled the OS from a fresh install, same thing happened. An update happened, it rebooted it worked. Then I got another update and rebooted, and same thing all over again. Videos won't play. What is going wrong? I've had nothing but trouble since I've upgraded to Windows 10.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2019 Views 29,432 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue may occur due to the outdated Display driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to update Display driver. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device manager.
  2. Locate for Display Adaptor and expand it.
  3. Right click on the adaptor and click on update.

And also, I recommend you visit the below link anything related Xbox.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/for-help-with-gaming-issues/9851613d-15f2-4e5d-992c-febd3d5d9221?tm=1438143787542

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

and will be glad to help.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've already done this before I actually posted on here. I searched the internet and others are having the same problems, even since Windows 8.1. I have never used Windows 8.1 but I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 so I skipped Windows 8.1 completely. But I have browsed the internet and it's not just me that's having the problem with the same issues. It's a Windows fault or a Driver issue that Microsoft has given me, but seems more a common problem than just me, myself alone.

There is a screenshot I have taken for you which is located here: http://i.imgur.com/n2HaTLs.png

Please get back if you can, cause this bug is annoying more than anything. I can only watch videos from Youtube and that's it. Any others it don't work just constant loading and the Xbox application just constantly says "Error Could not Decode Video" or something similar to that.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm getting this same "video can't be decoded error" but its  when trying to use windows dvd player in 10. codec worked fine in 7 before the upgrade on this machine. Display adapter (and any other drivers that have updated for 10) have been installed and everything else seems to be working ok. I've tried to download other codec but still nothing. It just sucks, I mean how can you screw up something you had right for over a decade (dvd playback) I need to use this for a project.   

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

And I thought Microsoft help people, yet no one replies in this thing. I'm going back to Windows 7 in a day or two if no response. 

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue may occur due to the outdated Display driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps.

I would suggest you to update Display driver. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + X and click on Device manager.
  2. Locate for Display Adaptor and expand it.
  3. Right click on the adaptor and click on update.

And also, I recommend you visit the below link anything related Xbox.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/for-help-with-gaming-issues/9851613d-15f2-4e5d-992c-febd3d5d9221?tm=1438143787542

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

and will be glad to help.

It wasn't helpful at all, the driver is up to date, and the problem still persists.

82 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am having the same issue it is when I open the news from start menu.  I can't resolve the issue either and I see that Microsoft doesn't appear to be coming up with a solution.  Sucks.  I have discovered the reason is cause Microsoft has removed the Window Media Player.  I had it on my laptop but now it is gone.  Still have it on my desktop and the videos work properly.  Microsoft should put windows media back with windows 10.  I am seriously thinking about reverting back to windows 7.  Not too happy.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is because of windows 10 removing the windows media.  I still have it on my desktop that has windows 10 and the media works fine.  One needs to **** to Microsoft about the issue, if any of them are listening.

Sorry this didn't help.

"Error video could not be decoded solve it" ........With a lot of mucking about I finally figured out how to fix the "Error: video can not be decoded problem". I went to my control panel then clicked onto "Programs" then "programs and features" then "turn windows features on or off"  once at that screen check mark and open "Windows Media" then be sure to check off " Windows Media Player"  That should solve the problem. 

Worked for some videos but not all so here is another solution updating driver for windows 10;

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried that and it didn't make any difference.  Video on win 10 on HP laptop still skips and jumps and clicks

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem but it appears to be even broader.

=======================================================

I have a DVD player/writer (HP DVD A DH16ACSH SATA) which came with my HP Pavillion Slimline (s5-1205z) that played back DVDs perfectly in Windows 7. With Windows 10 the Windows DVD Player app generates an error message that the "video could not be decoded".

If I go into Device Manager it identifies the device as a CVD-Rom player:

hp DVD A DH16ACSH SATA CdRom Device

If I right-click on This PC and select Open, I see the DVD player listed as:

DVD RW Drive (E:) 

It also shows the title of the DVD. If I Open the DVD I can read folders on the DVD. If I go into the video folder, I see video files (e.g. VTS_01_1.VOB) with the Windows Live Movie Maker icon. If I click on the file, Movie Maker pops up and show distorted video (with just a few slices of video image).

Separately, I am able to read and copy the DVD with a 3rd party DVD copier (1Click DVD).

====================================================

Here is another video playback issue:

Most (but not all) wmv and mp4 files will not play in either Windows Media Player or the Windows 10 Movies & TV player.

For example, I have a series of mp4 videos that all came from the same source ("How-to" golf videos, step 1, step 2, etc.). Step 1 video does play (sometimes) in Windows Media Player and sometimes in Movies & TV Player. But Step 2 of the same mp3 video series gives me an error saying "this item is in a format we don't support - 0xc00d36b4 (0xc00d36b4)". 

The same videos play perfectly in QuickTime and iTunes.

Here is another related video playback issue:

I tried loading mov video files with Movie & TV Player and Windows Media Player. Any one of three things will occur.

1. video does not play and shows an error message - 0xc00d5212 (0xc00d5212)

2. video does not play but audio will play

3. Video and audio player brilliantly 

1. All videos play perfectly in QuickTime.

Here is another related video playback issue:

I tried to run the following video in YouTube (using Microsoft Edge):

Introducing Windows 10 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu6vmNz-PhE)

I get a message that shows up briefly saying that I need to download Adobe Flash Player (which I understand is built into Microsoft Edge).

I can play the video using Google Chrome.

======================================================

In sum:

1. Windows DVD Player will not play DVD's but will play CD's. I have spoken with Microsoft Tech Support and have tried all available drivers (the driver installed is the latest driver). My DVD copier software recognizes the DVD Writer.

2. Video playback issues persist with Movie & TV Player, Windows Media Player and Microsoft Edge browser. I have spoken with Microsoft Tech Support with this issue as well and have tried all available drivers (the driver installed is the latest driver).

3. Specific problems with video playback include Movie & TV Player and Windows Media Player having problems with mp4 and mov video that work fine with QuickTime player.

4. Specific problems with video playback also include Microsoft Edge browser which fails to even run some Windows 10 YouTube videos that run fine with Google Chrome.

5. DVD Player and Youtube video examples always fail.

6. Video playback with Movie & TV Player and Windows Media Player (not to mention Windows Live Movie Maker) fail regularly, but the video files that fail are not always the same videos. 

Michael Glass

Sorry this didn't help.