Windows 10 CPU problems and IAStorDataSvc (32 bit)

Hello,

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. Love the new features.

However, this is what my Task Manager has been looking something like this for the last few hours:

The IAStorDataSvc is a process tied to Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have an HP machine, I checked HP Support Assistance, Intel Driver Update Utility, and Windows Update, but all say I'm using the latest Intel drivers with no available updates. This process constantly uses between 30-45% of my CPU, even when all applications are closed.

Runtime Broker is (from my understanding) a certificate/security process tied to apps from the Windows Store. I can workaround that right now by just not using any Windows Store application. Which is terrible, because Groove Music is actually useful. 

"System" is more sporadic, I haven't identified that yet. 

Any ideas on actions I can take on these issues? 

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated June 17, 2019 Views 47,237 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi David,

We appreciate you being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are facing high CPU usage as it is affecting performance on Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know whether you have installed any third party antivirus software on Windows 10. I suggest you to disable antivirus software on Windows 10 (If you have installed any).

High CPU usage may arise due to driver issue/antivirus/too many background process. As you have latest Intel drivers, there are chances that system may have affected with virus. Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

I suggest you to download and run the Microsoft safety scanner from the below link and check I it helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Microsoft Safety Scanner Disclaimer:

Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Thanks and regards.
T Kiran Kishore.
Forum Moderator OneDrive, Support Engineer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The windows 10 update disabled my Norton suite, but still I have this problem. I am going to uninstall it. My computer is running and running loudly (the fan I guess) and I have no programs running... these same files seem to be the issue.       

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Kiran,

Thanks for your input. I'm running Windows Defender on my machine. I did check around and found I still had Malwarebytes installed - it wasn't running, so I doubt this caused anything. I uninstalled it, then turned off Windows Defender for good measure. Restarted my computer, (Windows Defender seemed to have turned itself back on) and the IAStorDataSvc problem was gone... for about 2 minutes.

I installed the Microsoft Safety Scanner and ran a full scan. It did not find any viruses, spyware, or other potentially unwanted software.

I also did a full Scan with Windows Defender yesterday after I set up Windows 10, it found one suspicious keylogger, which I removed.

It's worth mentioning this isn't the only problem I'm having with my Intel drivers. A few hours ago my WiFi adapter just went crazy, connection only held for a few seconds every minute, and it couldn't find any more WiFi networks. Had to uninstall the driver "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230" reboot and Windows found and installed the driver correctly.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem and did all the scan and couldn't find any virus.

From reading the threads on the net, many Win 8 users also had similar problems with high CPU usage by IAStorDataSvc.   The solution seems to be a driver update from Intel.

When I went to the Intel website, there is a fresh driver for Intel Rapid Storage Technology for Windows 10 published on July 29th.  However, there is no telling whether it will fix the problem.

For the time being, I just kill the process every time I boot up my laptop so the fan won't be running at top speed all the time.

Microsoft should incorporate the new Intel driver in one of the Windows updates ASAP if that addresses this issue.

148 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply PCuser8,

For the record, here's the Intel Rapid Storage drivers you were talking about. I downloaded the most recent drivers from 7/29/15.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

Extracted, went to Device Manger, selected the Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller (Under Storage controllers) manually pointed to the folder where I extracted those drivers. It installed something. Rebooted. Problem is still here. Interestingly (1) The driver date on the Intel Chipset says the Driver date is from 6/3/15, and (2) trying to install the driver from the folder again doesn't install anything.

I will add that ending the IAStorDataSVC task does temporarily get rid of the problem, and disabling it doesn't have any apparent problems.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello there,

I have the same issue of excessive CPU usage by the above file, which I never noticed prior the Windows 10 update. I understand from your above post, that the Intel driver update link didn't help solve the problem so I haven't gone ahead with it. Please advise if you come across any solution to this. Thanks.

@Kiran Kishore - Hi, I have an HP laptop too (Envy 4) and just upgraded my Windows 7 system to Windows 10. I skipped the upgrade to Windows 8 cause I read about some compatibility issues with HP Envy 4. I suspect this current issue might be an issue with HP only systems! (I may be wrong)

As is mentioned in the very first post by DavidO0, I too rely for any system/drivers updates on HP Support Assistant and Windows Update, both of which confirm that my system is up-to-date. I specifically downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility, interestingly enough it neither said that the drivers are up-to-date nor that they require any updation. Post scanning, it just said 'No drivers were detected for your product'.

Also, I checked for virus as was suggested by you in your first post and I can confirm you that neither Norton Antivirus nor Microsoft Safety Scanner detected any virus on my system.

Please help.

Thanks and Regards

Rishi

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

Well I have figured out my upgrade issues to Windows 10 on my Alienware computer, they are all dealing with device drivers.

• I was having problems with NVIDIA 353.03 before the upgrade. The install happen through The NVIDIA Experience and my laptop would not boot correct running Windows 7. I had to reinstall the previous version of the driver and it work. The newer one still blanked out my screen but I was able to power down my laptop after waiting a few hours to ensure Windows 10 had installed. After that, the new driver works great.
  • Intel Rapid Storage (IAStorDataSvc) driver, if you have any Intel motherboard or chip-sets I would recommend running Intel® Driver Update Utility before installing Windows 10. I found the drive for my Raid Controller from 2012 (11.0.0.1032) was the latest for my laptop and no upgrades for any of the other devices were required. The Windows 10 upgrade will install a newer one from 2015 (13.2.0.1022). The latest driver caused very high CPU usage (around 20%) and high disk usage (between 16%/19%). I installed the original driver that the Intel tool recommended was the latest driver for my laptop and my disk issues were resolved.
  • I have two HP printers, one a laser Jet and the other an Ink Jet. Windows 10 is still trying to install updated drivers for my printers but the install carried over the drivers from my Windows 7. I still get error messages from Windows 10 about them but I just ignore them for now.

I would watch out for drivers automatically updated through Windows 10 and be ready to reinstall the previous drivers used before the upgrade to Windows 10. I have a DVD from Alienware with all the old drivers my system came with and pulled what I need from there.

That's my recommendation and it worked for me. My system is performing better on Windows 10 then it ever had under Vista. Remember, not all drivers are created the same or will work the same with different version of OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Windows 10 running on a Sony All-in-one and have the same high cpu usage for iastordatasvc.

From reading different forum articles I decided to stop the service.

As soon as I did it rendered my all apps, search and Edge unusable.

I went back and turned the service on and everything was ok again.

I'm just not going to worry about the cpu usage as the speed is good anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the same problem since I upgraded to Windows 10, I fixed this by go to Intel Download Center download and installed the latest Intel Rapid Storage software again. It all went quiet again.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

The file name: File name: SetupRST.exe

Hope this could help.

Hello,

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. Love the new features.

However, this is what my Task Manager has been looking something like this for the last few hours:

The IAStorDataSvc is a process tied to Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have an HP machine, I checked HP Support Assistance, Intel Driver Update Utility, and Windows Update, but all say I'm using the latest Intel drivers with no available updates. This process constantly uses between 30-45% of my CPU, even when all applications are closed.

Runtime Broker is (from my understanding) a certificate/security process tied to apps from the Windows Store. I can workaround that right now by just not using any Windows Store application. Which is terrible, because Groove Music is actually useful. 

"System" is more sporadic, I haven't identified that yet. 

Any ideas on actions I can take on these issues? 

Sorry this didn't help.

PS. The Intel Driver Update Utility could not detect anything went wrong.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.