Windows 10 Black Screen Problem for Dell Inspiron N5110

Hi Everyone,

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 two days back. After the update, whenever i login, after few minutes my desktop become black. I checked out in few of the forums, they suggested me to upgrade my graphic driver but i was not able to do it. can any one help me to sort out this issue?

Configuration:

HDD : 750GB

RAM : 6 GB

Intel i5 2nd gen

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2018 Views 30,866 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thank you - That was it!

I had already updated the BIOS on my Dell N5110 before upgrading to Win10 (from Win7) and was having this problem.

From the black screen, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to access task manager. Click File > Run new task. Type "control.exe" then Enter/Run which opens control panel. Go to Programs and Features. From there simply uninstall IDT Audio Driver and re-boot.

161 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey There 

I had this trouble and found out it needs a bios update, I got the driver directly from dell and it worked 100% I just typed into google Dell Inspiron N5110 bios and took me to Dell it takes 5 / 10 mins to do.

I did a fresh install to Win10 on a new SSD. install went OK until the second update and then black screen.

Found a suggestion elsewhere to plug in an external VGA monitor and it worked fine.

Then I updated to bios version 11 from Dell's site and after the reboot the laptop screen is working.

in my case the laptop is: an Inspiron 15R (N5110, Early 2011)

BIOS update here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-n5110/drivers/advanced?rvps=y

I also updated the dell quickset, and the function keys are working for screen brightness and volume control.

WiFi works Audio works, that's all I've tried.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey There 

I had this trouble and found out it needs a bios update, I got the driver directly from dell and it worked 100% I just typed into google Dell Inspiron N5110 bios and took me to Dell it takes 5 / 10 mins to do.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you update the BIOS when all you have is a black screen? I can't do anything with my laptop with no screen. Please help, thanks!

I connected an external monitor into the back of the laptop with a VGA cable.

I had to press the function key a few times to get the external monitor set as the active display.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 two days back. After the update, whenever i login, after few minutes my desktop become black. I checked out in few of the forums, they suggested me to upgrade my graphic driver but i was not able to do it. can any one help me to sort out this issue?

Configuration:

HDD : 750GB

RAM : 6 GB

Intel i5 2nd gen

I got the solution for this problem,

In my case, Before upgrading to Windows 10 I was using IDT Audio driver in Windows 7. Since that audio driver was not compatible to Windows 10, the explorer.exe got crashed every time after i logs into the computer and resulted in black screen.

I identified this with the help of Windows Log Viewer.

I restarted my system after uninstalling the IDT audio driver and i kept default audio driver provided by Windows.

Now the issue is resolved.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing of the above worked for me!

PROBLEM:

After updating to windows 10 each and every time I opened or rebooted my laptop after the windows logo I had a black screen that lasted about two minutes. No mouse pointer, no Ctr+Alt+Del would do anything. After that I was logged in normally and everything was fine.

I did driver updates.. nothing! Downgraded to older versions in compatibility mode for windows 8 but nothing.. I did a reset but nothing. I did clean install but nothing!! I downgraded my bios so I can update it again with external monitor but nothing.

THE SOLUTION:

It was a one minute solution!

Type regedit in search box and right click --> Run as admin

Go to menu Edit-->Search  and search for EnableULPS

Find EnableULPS in the list, double click, change value from 1 to 0, OK

Reboot and you are done!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Still have problem after uninstall IDT

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLUTION:
Preliminary remarks:
As we all know Windows OS always bring problems.
The boys of Redmond, since upgrading to W7, have failed to resolve how to adapt drivers on updating.
Ie we moving from XP to W7, W8, W8.1, and W10, and always the same problems: drivers.
It seems that is user problem, when it is not.
The problem is always Windows.

Happily, any MVP, or any employee of the Technical Service will tell identical answers:
1. Update
2. Uninstall
3. Reinstall
4. Update again
5. If this problem is not resolved, they will blame the manufacturer of your PC.
But again, the problem is always Windows.

What you are saying here is really not right.

Drivers do much more than tell your computer what hardware you have.  Drivers are small pieces of software that are written by those with intimate knowledge of a piece of hardware - they contain hardware-specific code that bridge the gap between the operating system and the hardware.  Just as your car's tires bridge the gap between your car and the road.

You say the problem can't possibly be the driver because the hardware didn't change - only the operating system changed.  Okay, hang on there. Let's imagine I live in Los Angeles and I drive my car all over the city with no problem.  The manufacturer of my tires made certain assumptions about the conditions of the road, and those assumptions hold true.    But then I decide to drive up into the mountains where there is snow and ice.  My car is unable to traverse the snow and ice and gets stuck.  When somebody tells me the problem is with my tires, I say, "No it can't possibly be the tires, because they haven't changed!  What's changed is the road and the weather!  It must be the road and weather's fault."

The answer is:  The tires are no longer appropriate for the road and weather.
Just as hardware drivers may be no longer appropriate for a newer version of Windows.

Tires are designed with a set of assumptions about the road.  Similarly, a driver is written with a set of assumptions about exactly how Windows works. 

If Windows gets updated, the driver's assumptions may not hold true any more.  

An update to Windows could also break old software.  Why?  Because assumptions may not still hold true.

Let's say a piece of software is written with instructions such as:

Open file XYZ  for writing
Start writing
Record some information
Record some more information
Stop writing
Close XYZ

This software is probably going to work for decades.  It is high level and does not make deep assumptions about the underlying operating system.  It might have made an assumption that the user had permission to write in a certain location, and if that assumption breaks, so does the software.  That's an example of why so many pieces of software broke during the XP-to-Vista/7 jump.  Because suddenly a high-level assumption (anybody can write anywhere) was no longer valid.

But that's about it - The software is high-level enough that the assumptions it makes are pretty universal.

A driver on the other hand runs at a deeper level.

It might take the instruction "Open file XYZ" and turn it into:
"Execute I/O Control operation 66 on device whose private memory space begins at 0xff83010"

Windows sees an attempt to open a file, and passes the request down to the driver.  The driver for the hard drive controller receives the request,  knows what instructions the controller can perform, how to interface with it, and what data to pass back up to Windows.   

All kinds of things could change down at this level.  Maybe we need additional bits to represent the private memory address. Or maybe the IOCTL instruction has changed.    Regular software won't care, but the driver will.  Hence it may be necessary to install a newer version of the driver - a version which was written later, and therefore tested with a later/newer version of Windows.  

Why would somebody blame the manufacturer?  Of course the update wouldn't be necessary if Microsoft hadn't changed something.  However, Microsoft works very hard to get manufacturers to update their drivers.  Announcing changes ahead of time, providing preview versions of Windows, offering certification to ensure the driver will continue to work.  If the manufacturer chooses to not provide an update for their driver, that's a little like Ford deciding to not support snow tires for my car.   If they aren't going to provide you with an update to work in the new environment, then yes it is their fault when you encounter a failure.

So if a piece of hardware worked with Windows 7 and doesn't work with Windows 10, it is true that a new driver is most likely needed.  And if that doesn't work, the manufacturer is likely to blame. 

I will concede that MVPs and other tech folks fall back on the "reinstall/upgrade/downgrade your drivers" cliche way too much.  However, the advice does have fundamental technical principles behind it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much! This worked for me also :):) I have been using my tv as my screen for months now since I upgraded to 10 :( its nice at home but left me basically with a desktop pc lol. Thanks again for posting!

I'm also on dell n5110

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't kno y? when i install driver VGA it become black screen but if i connect my laptop to monitor desktop it work normal.

Can u tell me how to fix it?

Thank

Sorry this didn't help.