Question

Q: Windows 10 Black Screen Problem for Dell Inspiron N5110

Hi Everyone,

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 two days back. After the update, whenever i login, after few minutes my desktop become black. I checked out in few of the forums, they suggested me to upgrade my graphic driver but i was not able to do it. can any one help me to sort out this issue?

Configuration:

HDD : 750GB

RAM : 6 GB

Intel i5 2nd gen

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey There 

I had this trouble and found out it needs a bios update, I got the driver directly from dell and it worked 100% I just typed into google Dell Inspiron N5110 bios and took me to Dell it takes 5 / 10 mins to do.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

Hey There 

I had this trouble and found out it needs a bios update, I got the driver directly from dell and it worked 100% I just typed into google Dell Inspiron N5110 bios and took me to Dell it takes 5 / 10 mins to do.

I did a fresh install to Win10 on a new SSD. install went OK until the second update and then black screen.

Found a suggestion elsewhere to plug in an external VGA monitor and it worked fine.

Then I updated to bios version 11 from Dell's site and after the reboot the laptop screen is working.

in my case the laptop is: an Inspiron 15R (N5110, Early 2011)

BIOS update here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-n5110/drivers/advanced?rvps=y

I also updated the dell quickset, and the function keys are working for screen brightness and volume control.

WiFi works Audio works, that's all I've tried.

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

I have the latest version of BIOS, i was not able to flash it again. Any other possible ways?

I think the problem is with graphics drive

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Everyone,

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 two days back. After the update, whenever i login, after few minutes my desktop become black. I checked out in few of the forums, they suggested me to upgrade my graphic driver but i was not able to do it. can any one help me to sort out this issue?

Configuration:

HDD : 750GB

RAM : 6 GB

Intel i5 2nd gen

I got the solution for this problem,

In my case, Before upgrading to Windows 10 I was using IDT Audio driver in Windows 7. Since that audio driver was not compatible to Windows 10, the explorer.exe got crashed every time after i logs into the computer and resulted in black screen.

I identified this with the help of Windows Log Viewer.

I restarted my system after uninstalling the IDT audio driver and i kept default audio driver provided by Windows.

Now the issue is resolved.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

How did you update the BIOS when all you have is a black screen? I can't do anything with my laptop with no screen. Please help, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

How did you update the BIOS when all you have is a black screen? I can't do anything with my laptop with no screen. Please help, thanks!

I connected an external monitor into the back of the laptop with a VGA cable.

I had to press the function key a few times to get the external monitor set as the active display.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Other notes on the N5110

1) the Wifi would drop after a few minutes. I read a that disabling bluetooth would help and it has.

2) Google Chrome doesn't work and drops audio and video. Youtube would hang. Suggestions were to change the chrome exe to run in Win81 compatibility mode. This seems to help.

3) I wanted to change the two finger scroll direction so it works like a MacBook Pro. The Dell touchpad UI doesn't support this but a registry change does. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Alps\Apoint\InvertScroll

a value of 0 makes it work like windows laptops. A value of 3 makes it work like an iPad or a MacBook Pro.

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLUTION:
Preliminary remarks:
As we all know Windows OS always bring problems.
The boys of Redmond, since upgrading to W7, have failed to resolve how to adapt drivers on updating.
Ie we moving from XP to W7, W8, W8.1, and W10, and always the same problems: drivers.
It seems that is user problem, when it is not.
The problem is always Windows.

Happily, any MVP, or any employee of the Technical Service will tell identical answers:
1. Update
2. Uninstall
3. Reinstall
4. Update again
5. If this problem is not resolved, they will blame the manufacturer of your PC.
But again, the problem is always Windows.
How to troubleshoot drivers?
Unless you're a NASA college, you can not do it without a guide.
When will you ask for help, they will make you reinstall everything again, at the risk of collateral losing, or directly, your computer.
Some drivers could fry your computer completely forever.
For example, the BIOS drivers.
As I've already broken a couple of PC's by the MVP's advices, I learned to force ignoring them.
1 Never mind them.
2nd Investigate on your own.
3rd If in doubt, read the item 1 again.
Let's think about, using logic.
A driver is a program, that tells Windows what type of components has your PC.
For example: what video card, what sound card, etc.
When updating Windows, the video card IS THE SAME (as other components of your PC).
This means Windows changed, no computer.
Therefore, you do not need new drivers, because your PC IS THE SAME.

What does Windows with drivers when upgrading?
It copy without reinstalling.
For that reason, some work, some do not. Depending on the type of driver.

SOLUTION:
On update (for Windows 10), your former drivers are in the folder:
C: \ SWSetup \ Drivers
(I recommend that you copy into another PC, or DVD and keep)
All have their installer "setup.exe", and you can use them, in case of formatting your PC in the future.
This time, (because it is an upgrade Win 7 or 8, 10) we will from the "Device Manager".
(Right click on the Start button of Windows 10. It's at the top of the list)
In the case of the video card, it is among the first in the Device Manager.
It's called "Display Adapter" (click).
Then right  click, at the driver (Intel or AMD).
Choose "Update Driver Software".
Choose "Search for driver software on your computer".
Here you have to put the folder on your DRIVER (which is dependent).
Example: C: \ SWSetup \ Drivers \ VGA_PH \ Graphics
OK.
Restart.

The driver is updated, and before restart, could operate normally control brightness.
I repeat, that you can also update the drivers with the "setup" of the driver concerned.
Anyway I do not recommend using the "setup", except in the case of a clean installation (not an upgrade).
That is all.
Your brightness control problem and will be solved.

If they liked it, choose this comment as best answer.

(I'm not native english speaker)

Best regards my friends !!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you - That was it!

I had already updated the BIOS on my Dell N5110 before upgrading to Win10 (from Win7) and was having this problem.

From the black screen, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to access task manager. Click File > Run new task. Type "control.exe" then Enter/Run which opens control panel. Go to Programs and Features. From there simply uninstall IDT Audio Driver and re-boot.

Sorry this didn't help.

161 people were helped by this reply

Thanks for your solution.

It worked perfectly for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info