Windows 10 and Epson Printer D88

Help Help Help - I wished I never changed to Windows 10, I have an old Epson Printer D88 which I use to print on fabric.  I have lost the 'get ink levels' now I cannot tell which ink to change.  I am completely fed up!  Also I have asked my computer to go to sleep after 10 mins - it wont!

Question Info

Last updated July 10, 2018 Views 1,859 Applies to:

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Is the device compatible with Windows 10?

Check if the printer is compatible from the link below:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/printers/index.do?UseCookie=yes

Method 1: For sleep related issue, run power troubleshooter by following the steps below, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type troubleshooting in the search box next to Start icon, and select the top most search result.

Step 2: Click on View All from the left side of the screen panel.

Step 3: Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option, and check Apply repairs automatically option.

Step 4:  Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persist, perform Clean Boot by following the steps from the link below, and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Following is a link to perform a Clean Boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:
Start the computer in normal mode refer the section, How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting from the link above.

Also refer to the article from the following link on Power plans: frequently asked questions (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,
Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,  I did as instructed above - outcome - screensaver enabled - I cannot disable it as it is greyed out?

Epson does not have an updated driver for my very old printer. 

Please advise - can I remove Windows 10 - will this put my computer back to how it was - in a working condition - it went to 'sleep' as instructed - my old printer worked fine - why was I foolish and installed Windows 10.  If I go down the road of uninstalling Windows 10 will it cause me more problems?  I am utterly fed up with this - tearful of New Milton, Hampshire, UK

Thank you

Lesley

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for responding in Microsoft Community.

Issue 1: I suggest you to try the below to disable the screen saver.

Steps:

1. Press Windows key from the keyboard and type Screen saver.
  2. Select Change screen saver, change screen saver to None.
  3. Uncheck the option On resume, display logon screen.

Issue 2: I suggest you to contact the manufacturer's website and install the drivers for printer on your device.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

1. Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right click the driver installation file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
  3. Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
  4. Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.
  5. Try installing the driver and check.

Issue 3: I suggest you to refer to the below article by J W Stuart about Rollback feature and check if it helps:

How to recover / restore your previous version of Windows using the Rollback feature

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Deepika,

Thank you for your reply.  I have now solved the first two issues.  Computer is going to sleep as requested.

I have received today a A to B USB (yes I was using a very old style pin cable, but in its defence it worked perfectly well before I upgraded to Windows 10).  I uninstalled all of the Epson software and plugged in the new USB cable which in turn re-installed the printer.  I now have a printer that works again and I have the 'ink levels' back.

Now no need to uninstall Windows 10.

I am not a young person and I have been using computers since the days of the BBC/Acorn type (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro) computers here in the UK.  I did find this challenging and spent many hours (I am fast running out of hours) trying to solve be asking your community, well that has taught me a valuable lesson - ask someone!

Thank you again.

Kind Regards,

Lesley

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lesley,

Thank you for responding in Microsoft Community.

We are glad to know that your issue is being resolved. Also apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We appreciate you for the effort and time that you spent to resolve the issue.

Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.