Windows 10 & AMD Drivers - Causes machine freezing

I have a number of laptops (Dell) with AMD APUs.

The latest updates to Windows forces a driver update to the AMD R5 video cards installed in these devices. This causes the system to freeze every few seconds. If you move a mouse cursor around, it will stop responding every 2-3 seconds for about 1/4 of a second making it extremely frustrating to use.

I have confirmed that it is Windows 10 builds with newer AMD drivers. It doesn't matter if it's the default drivers Windows Update installs from Microsoft, or the AMD Crimson software. One of my systems that had older drivers worked fine until 1703 which over-wrote the old AMD drivers with the new ones (and won't allow me to roll back).

If I uninstall ALL video card drivers and let the system default to 'Microsoft Basic Graphics Adaptor' then the response returns to normal. Install the video card drivers - either via Windows Update or direct from AMD - and the freezing behaviour returns.

I'm not entirely sure if it's a Windows issue, or an AMD issue, but it needs to be fixed. It has made 3 PCs in my house unusable!

Hello Michael,

We appreciate the details and the troubleshooting steps that you've done so far regarding the compatibility issue between Windows 10 and with the AMD Drivers. For us to isolate the issue, we suggest that you download the Show or hide updates troubleshooter that can be found at the bottom section of this article. Kindly follow the instructions given and see if there will be any changes.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Xylee. 

I can certainly download the program to prevent Windows from installing the device specific driver via Windows update in the future. I can then uninstall the driver on the system - there is no rollback available - knowing it wont auto re-install. 

This then leaves me with 2 choices.

1. Install the AMD Crimson drivers from AMD which cause the same problem as the Windows Update drivers. 

2. Leave the system with only the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers installed by default - which are not capable of acceleration meaning even simple programs/games like Minecraft will not run. 

Is there a flaw in my thinking there? Is there a magical option 3 im not aware of?

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your prompt response. There is a known issue between Windows 10 and AMD Radeon graphic cards and our team is already aware of this. Since there is no rollback option available, we suggest that you check the reply of ErwinJames San on this thread and perform the troubleshooting steps given.

Kindly get back to us with the results.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again for the reply Xylee.

Unfortunately my error is entirely different to the one you linked to in your post. It relates to freezing as a result of the drivers, not an issue with multiple monitors.

23.20.15002.11 (06/12/17) is the driver version that is currently installed.

The previous version 22.19.677.257 (22/09/17) has the same issue.

-----

After deleting the driver it replaces the AMD R5 graphics with a generic 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible' under Other devices.

I then rebooted the computer. It shows only as the above controller and is quite happy to run under 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible). While this device is considered as being installed I don't get the machine freezing. It runs smoothly - as long as I don't actually want to use it for any form of even basic 3D-based gaming.

Doing a scan for hardware changes doesn't show any changes.

-----

If I download AMD Crimson package 16.12.2 which installs driver 21.19.407.0 (19/12/2016) it appears to work.

I have used the troubleshooter to force the system to remain on these year old drivers - however this doesn't fix the issue.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the steps that you've provided. We understand that the AMD Crimson package works better than the generic VGA driver, especially with 3D based gaming and advanced applications that requires high end graphic drivers. We recommend that you use the AMD Crimson package for the mean time as we've already reported this concern to our developers.

If you have a spare time, kindly share us your thoughts about Windows 10 through our Feedback Hub so we can consider your suggestion as an additional feature to add up to our future updates. Our developers are working hard to provide better features on Windows 10. To send a suggestion for this application, follow the steps below:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.
  2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
  3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
  4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
  5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
  6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
  7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
  8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
  9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this problem on my:

HP 15 f205dx

AMD A6 5200

4gb ram

I am posting to ask if there has been any fix for this issue?

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem now with my computer. 

I have a Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 series, with AMD A8 and Radeon 5 drivers on Win 10, 64bit. I decided to update my AMD drivers to see if this would fix graphical issues I was having with a game, and now my display freezes for a fraction of a second every few seconds, making my mouse lag and causing other annoying micro graphical issues. 

Not tech-savvy and don't want to go fudging up my computer before receiving advice. Any thoughts?

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem but i manage to resolve it, i went to administration devices, in screen adaptor i go to the options, then i go to controllers and i press return to previous controller and my problem was result.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2024 Views 37,248 Applies to: