Question

Q: Windows 10 absolutely will not detect my bluetooth headphones.

A few points, PLEASE read all of these thoroughly to avoid posting answers I can't do anything with:

• Using Windows 10 x64, the latest Creators Update
  • My headphones are Altec Lansing, model MZX300
  • The headphones work 100% fine on my Android phone, connecting instantly
  • Yes, the headphones are in "discoverable" mode, and I've tried many, many times
  • I have tried connecting via the "Connect" option in the Action Center, the bluetooth settings, and the "Add a device" wizard. On Android I don't even have to attempt to discover the headphones, they just appear.
  • I have disabled bluetooth on my phone to ensure there is no conflict. The headphones stay in "discoverable" mode (flashing red and blue light, as indicated by the instructions) until they power off due to inactivity.
  • I have checked "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC"
  • It's not a driver issue, this same problem occurs on two separate computers with different bluetooth radios (generic & realtek)
  • Both of the bluetooth-related services in services.msc - including the one specifically related to bluetooth headsets - are enabled and set to start automatically.

Why is bluetooth on Windows such garbage? Since there obviously won't be any helpful solutions posted, should I just switch to OSX?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Regarding your concern, this kind of issue usually happens due to incompatibility of the device. However some issue might occur because of the bluetooth device's driver is not updated. We appreciate you providing all the information needed. For the meantime, kindly follow the methods below:

Method 1 - Run the Microsoft Easy Fix device and hardware troubleshooter:

Microsoft Easy Fix can help with diagnosing and resolving issues for Microsoft products and third party software that affects Microsoft products. Kindly click this link to download and run the easy fix.

Method 2 - Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter:

1. Right click theStart menu and select Control Panel.  

2. Change the View by: Categoryinto Large icons. 

3. Select and click Troubleshooting 

4. Click Hardware and Sound 

5. Click Hardware and Devices.  

6. Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete. 

7. After troubleshooting is completed, check the status of the troubleshooter shown on the window

This should help in getting your Bluetooth detected on your computer.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have additional questions, feel free to post on this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Thanks. I've run the troubleshooter several times in the past few weeks and it comes up with nothing.

There are no drivers to install, it's just a generic bluetooth radio. My laptop has the absolute latest cutting-edge realtek bluetooth drivers straight from the manufacturer's website, and the same problem still occurs.

It's impossible for the device to be "incompatible" with Windows unless Windows just has an awfully buggy/problematic bluetooth stack. They are normal headphones just like any other, and all other bluetooth-enabled devices are able to pair with them flawlessly. This is a problem with Windows, and at this point Windows is so bad that I'd rather pick a new OS than pick new headphones.

Sorry this didn't help.

31 people were helped by this reply

Still an issue...Windows 10 is a heap of trash

Sorry this didn't help.

66 people were helped by this reply

Hello,

We appreciate your feedback on this. To troubleshoot your Bluetooth concern, click on this link on how to Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10.

We'll be keeping an eye out of your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

I appreciate the response, but please no cookie-cutter answers...obviously I've been through all these troubleshooting steps if I've bothered to make a thread here.

This is a problem with Windows, not my headphones, not my bluetooth configuration. Windows' bluetooth stack is broken.

Sorry this didn't help.

51 people were helped by this reply

No, something with your setup. I use Bluetooth all the time with Windows 10 so it's not broken for all as you claim.

Do you have all other devices unplugged (except keyboard & mouse)?  WiFi?

Any recent applications installed?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't claim it was broken for everybody. There are issues with certain devices. I even found a review of my headphones where the reviewer states that the headphones wouldn't pair in Windows 10, even though they paired in Windows 7 just fine. It's an issue with the Windows 10 bluetooth stack, and it's something that will never be fixed because Microsoft would rather believe I'm an idiot who is somehow using the bluetooth wrong.

I have tried my headphones between three different computers with two different bluetooth radios. None of them are able to even recognize that the headphones exist, much less pair with them. My Android phone is able to recognize and pair with them in under a second.

My desktop doesn't have wifi, my laptop does. No headphones detected on either. All devices unplugged doesn't change anything. 

Sorry this didn't help.

16 people were helped by this reply

Thank you for clarifying.

We wanted to clarify the information below to further investigate on this.

• As mentioned, you have the latest Windows Creators Update, is this the latest update that we we're about to roll-out on April 11th?
  • Also, was the Bluetooth working prior to the update to Windows Creators build?
  • Have you also checked with the device manufacturer if it is compatible with Windows 10?

Looking forward for your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also was impacted by bluetooth problem after installing Creator Updates. Prior to update everything was ok. Now windows sees my 8bitdo controller as connected while it is not even powered on. I have to switch bluetooth On/Off to force windows to see my device as paired - not connected while it is still off. Sometimes it is not working until i reboot. Onece i had to reboot machine but it did not help at all.

I see that MS has a lot of troubles with bluetooth stack - also on win10 mobile it is most of the time not working together with Ford I Sync.

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

I also have this problem.The system is a HP dc 7800 with a broadcom bluetooth which worked just fine before the Creators Update.After the update I can no longer pair my AKG k830BT with my computer.I would like to note that the same thing happens on a Lenovo Thinkpad t420 and a Hp Dv7. The headphones are fine,and the hardware is also fine (they pair under older W10 builds and any os prior to creators update).

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 16,449 Last updated: April 23, 2018 Applies to: