Windows 10 1607 webcam problems: An exhortation and some data

At this point I want to urge Microsoft as loudly as possible to allow everyone to roll back to 1511, whether or not they're within the rollback period and whether or not they possess the recovery files.   Clearly, 1607 was not adequately tested.

People in the scientific imaging and audiovisual fields can't wait a month for their webcams to resume working. 

Microsoft owes us the functionality we paid for, rather than some other newer functionality they are trying to introduce.  We buy operating systems to do productive work, not to play with new toys.

I had two problems with Windows 10 1607 (Anniversary Update) (64-bit).  At this point these will be data points for Microsoft more than questions.

(1) My astronomy webcams (models DFK21AU04 and DMK21AU04 from www.astronomycameras.com) became inoperative with their own software and also with FireCapture (I did not try any other software).  They use special modes to download un-deBayered data.  This is very common in scientific imaging.

(2) The touchpad on my Asus UX32A became extremely sensitive, started to false-trigger, and was generally unreliable.  (I am not sure whether this began with Anniversary Update or came in with some other update shortly afterward.)

I tried the widely-publicized registry fix (EnableFrameServerMode = 0 in two places) and it had no effect.  Does this fix actually work for anyone?  Or is it just something the media are passing around?

Rolling back to 1511 fixed both problems.  Fortunately, I was allowed to do so.  Others, however, might have gotten past the rollback period before discovering the problem, since we do not expect an "update" to take away hardware support.

The EnableFrameServerMode = 0 change must be made on both the Wow6432Node folder, to fix 32-bit apps and the non-Wow6432Node folder, to fix 64-bit apps.
I did so, and it didn't seem to be sufficient.   Here is a .reg script of what I did.  Is it correct?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform]
"EnableFrameServerMode"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform]
"EnableFrameServerMode"=dword:00000000

Discussion Info

Last updated August 11, 2020 Views 1,571 Applies to: