Win10: Custom Monitor Profile unloads

I have an issue where my custom monitor profile (*.ICM) unloads.

Note that there are other threads that report a related issue, but my issue is not the same because 1) mine stays unloaded (the other people report a flickering on/off), and b) my scenario is NOT a gaming scenario. My primary use is for professional photographic editing, where color matters even more.

I create custom monitor profiles (*.ICM) using Xrite's i1Profiler

Reproduce steps:

• anytime I select "Bluetooth" in the Action Pane 
  • plug in or unplug any USB device
  • connect my drawing tablet via Bluetooth (though no accessing the Action Pane)

I can reset the profile with a reboot, then reproduce the using any of the above steps, every time.

Machine / Environment Details:

• Winver: 1809 (OS Build 17763-379)
  • MSI GP63 RE8 laptop 
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630 (updated to most recent driver)
  • NVIDIA GTX-1060 (updated to most recent driver)
  • (more details on request if you think it's relevant)

In addition to the above graphics driver updates, I also updated the intel chipset.

This also happens on my desktop machine, though to a lesser degree. 

Chris

Hi,
I am Ganesh Gandhi, an Independent Advisor and Office Insider for Android. I am here to work with you on this problem.

Drivers update not required for this case.

Try these steps as suggested by x-rite:
- Open Control Panel and then "Color Management".
-In the "Devices" tab, add a check to "Use My Settings for this Device".
- Make sure that the X-Rite created monitor profile is selected as the default.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab and check the box to "Use Windows Display - Calibration" to control loading the video LUTs.
- If the option "Use Windows Display Calibration" is grayed out, click on "Change System Defaults" bottom left in the window.
- A Color Management setup window for the System Level appears. Do not apply any changes for assigned profiles here. Click on "Advanced" tab and select the option to "Use Windows Display Calibration".
- Select "Close" and then exit "Color Management".
- Restart the computer

Refer here:
https://www.xrite.com/service-support/monitorpr...

and
https://www.xrite.com/service-support/monitor_p...

Do let me know if you require any further help on this. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.
Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information with reference. Thoroughly research products advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ganesh Gandhi,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I went through the steps you listed and that has now mostly resolved the issue. That is, the profile still gets unloaded, but it will immediately reload. This happens a few times, which cause a flicker on the monitors, so now I know what others are complaining about.

So while this isn't a case of Windows being fixed, the work-around resolves the issue for me, for my purposes of photography editing (I can now have more confidence that the proper profile is loaded before editing on color-critical images).

Thanks also for the links to the Xrite pages. While this is still a Windows issue, it's nice to see that the profiler manufacture has gone to the trouble of defining this work-around for their users. However, there are several other methods of making custom profiles and products from other companies that do so as well, so here's hoping that Microsoft can eventually get this fixed.

I also used these steps on my other machine with a different graphics card (and everything else), but with the same Windows build. And the fix works there too.

Thanks for your time!

Chris

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue with me. The fix worked as described. Noticable flicker but works for me.

So thanks from me too, Ganesh Gandhi!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been having the same issue. My configuration was already set up as the "fix" described here but the flickering happens so often that it's unbearable. I would call this a temporary workaround for times when you absolutely need a calibrated monitor andis definitely not a fix.

This apparently has been an issue for quite some time without a fix from Microsoft. Unacceptable for photographers and creative professionals.

I was going to purchase an upgraded colorimeter solution but this problem makes me afraid that it will be rendered useless.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 837 Applies to: