Win 10 thinks that my speaker jack is a microphone jack.

I did a fresh install of Win 10 Home on my PC that used to run Win 7. Under Win 7 it recognised my speakers which is a cheap two speaker system powered by a USB port with built in amp, and just a simple audio jack and plugged into the green socket on the back of the PC. Before I upgraded I was able to play music from this. However, after the fresh install the speakers aren't recognised. Instead in the Playback tab of the Sound dialog I get four disconnected entries that say Audio Digital (HDMI):

Now I DO have a graphics card on board and that has a HDMI out (installed so that I could play Space Engineers and No Man's Sky), but I'm still using an older monitor with a DVI connector and NO built-in speakers. At the same time, on the Recording tab of the Sounds Dialog, I have this showing:

But of course I have NO microphone plugged in, it's the speakers instead, and in the correct socket as well. When I run the Troubleshooter from the Sounds it just says "no device is connected", and from the Device Manager it says that "the drivers are up to date".  No I suppose I could just spend $$$$ to b a newer monitor that runs HDMI and has speakers (and I might do that in the future)  but I'd rather  sort out this issue without spend any more money.  The PC's specs are (from a HWiNFO64 scan):

Motherboard Model:      ASRock N68-S3 UCC
Motherboard Chipset:    nVidia MCP61
Device Name:                 NVIDIA MCP61 - High Definition Audio Controller
Device Class:                  Mixed mode device
Revision ID:                    A2
PCI Address                  (Bus:Device:Function) Number:    0:5:0
PCI Latency Timer:        0
Hardware ID:               PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F0&SUBSYS_03971849&REV_A2

[Driver Information]
Driver Manufacturer:    Microsoft
Driver Description:       High Definition Audio Controller
Driver Provider:           Microsoft
Driver Version:           10.0.16299.15
Driver Date:               28-Sep-2017
DeviceInstanceId     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03F0&SUBSYS_03971849&REV_A2\3&267A616A&0&28
Location Paths          PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0500)

Suggestions please. I just want to get my sound back

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 339 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I was eventually able to resolve this issue by changing monitors. The old monitor I was using had no built in speakers, and I replaced it with an LG 24UD58-B, which also has no speakers, but does have an audio jack in the back of a monitor.

I shut Win10, replaced the monitor and booted up. Win10 adjusted for the new monitor and installed an appropriate driver. This time it showed the device working on the Sound tab:

I unplugged my simple amp/speakers and plugged them into the jack plug on the rear of the monitor, and tested that by attempting to play a system sound. There was still no sound, but this time I found the problem was with the internal setting on the monitor. I pressed the button on the underneath of the monitor, selected MENU and then QUICK SETTINGS, and then VOLUME. The volume had defaulted to 0% and Muted. I hadn't noticed this on the other PC I'd been using the LG monitor with because that was still running Win7 and the jack on that one was working OK.

I changed the setting to 100% (It's easier to adjust the sound in Windows than the monitor menu or the volume control on the amp) and Unmuted it and now I have sound!!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.