Win 10: Keyboard not working during login

I use a lenovo G-50-80 laptop. It came with Win 8.1 pre-installed. I partitioned it and added Ubuntu and use the PC in dualboot. It upgraded to Win 10 a week ago. I haven't had any problems with that till yesterday when my keyboard stopped working in the login screen of Win 10. I can use my mouse, but so far clicking anything impossible. Keyboard functions like Locking the touchpad and increasing the brightness work, but I am unable to login. The keyboard works fine in Ubuntu and the boot managers (Win and grub2), so I don't think that's a hardware problem. How can I get windows up and running again? Even if re-installation is needed, can I do it without a product key and still not get into any problem? But first, please suggest any 'soft' methods to make the keyboard work again.

And yes, I tried turning it off and back on.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to run hardware and devices troubleshooter and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Type troubleshooting in the search box on taskbar.
b. Click troubleshooting in the search results.
c. Click "View all" and then click "Hardware and Devices".
d. Click "Next" and follow on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to install all the latest updates released by Microsoft from Windows Updates and check if that helps or not. And to update your drivers, please follow the steps and let us know if it helps fixing the issue or not:

Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X, click on Control Panel; select System and Maintenance.

1. Click on Device Manager.

2. In Device Manager, locate Keyboard and double-click to check if it’s working properly.

3. Go to Driver tab, then click on Update Driver. And follow the instructions.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

"Keyboard not working during login"  How can you follow your instructions with Method 1 and 2.

I have same issue and cant login.  Communicating from another PC.

Open for other suggestions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sam,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us and I apologize for the delay in responding.

I suggest you to use the on-screen keyboard and try to login. Follow the steps below:

Click on the Ease of Access icon at the right bottom of the screen and select On-screen keyboard and login. Please find the screenshot of the Ease of Access icon at the right bottom of the screen:

Once you are in the desktop follow the steps given by Syed Abdul Jabbar and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2022 Views 6 Applies to: