Why is scrolling speed/amount inconsistent across apps?

I've noticed that trackpad scrolling, including the speed and number of lines scrolled, varies wildly from app to app on Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 (precision trackpad). It's different going from Microsoft Edge, to Google Chrome, to Windows File Explorer, to Adobe Lightroom. 

It's also different scrolling using the trackpad vs. scrolling via touch on-screen. The rest of this discussion will talk about the precision touchpad.

Edge feels the best, with a very nice accelerated scroll that really 'rolls off' at the end.

Chrome is very literal: scroll exactly these many lines (dictated by your setting in Touchpad settings), and then stop when your fingers stop. Enabling the smooth accelerated scrolling in Google Labs makes it nicer, but it's still very different from Edge: with the acceleration seeming to last a much longer time than with Edge. And with this Labs setting off, it's still very different from Edge (being more 'literal' and less 'smoothed acceleration').

File Explorer is much worse than either internet browsers, being very 'literal' with really no feeling of acceleration and, instead, constant speed scrolling. But worse: it's like constant speed scrolling that continues after I've stopped moving my two fingers for the scroll. I feel like this is trying to simulate accelerated scrolling, with a 'roll off' at the end, but doing a really poor job of it.

Finally, Adobe Lightroom scrolling is terrible: no matter what my 'choose how many lines to scroll each time' setting, it only scrolls a tiny bit per two-finger movement. 

In fact, Lightroom and Explorer both appear to ignore the 'choose how many lines to scroll' setting in Windows, whereas the browsers' behavior changes based on this setting.

In Photoshop, activating scrolling at all sends the picture literally off the screen so you can only see one corner of it, and you can't recover from this state until you zoom back out (usually using the keyboard). So you have to be very careful *not* to touch scroll at all. This is productivity killing.

Why this inconsistency across apps? Apple has nailed down consistent scrolling behavior across most/all apps, which is very important b/c our brains tend to learn an 'expected scrolling speed' when using a laptop, which allows us to kind of predict the speed of scrolling and compensate for the motion in our heads, allowing us to read/follow text as we scroll. This completely falls apart when using a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10, since the scrolling varies so much from app to app. I can tell my brain's 'expected scrolling speed' is working, if that makes any sense, but when the actual scrolling speed isn't matched, I suddenly sense a 'disconnect' and my eyes don't follow the scrolling to keep up with it.

Is there a way to set a 'global' scrolling speed/amount, and acceleration/smoothing, across all apps on Windows 10? Is this a Windows 10 thing or a Surface Pro 4 thing or a precision touchpad thing?

Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 8, 2018 Views 3,996 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have similar problems, 

Lenovo B50-80 laptop

elan smart pad touch-pad

in chrome multi-finger is terribly slow

in Yandex browser it is jumping from top to bottom with slightest move

in adobe illustrator I cannot use it at all, I not detecting it as scrolling at all, function like ctrl+scroll or alt+scroll not working at all. 

why this is happening and how to fix?

interesting is that mouse I connect so same laptop work normally and same in every program and browser. 

how to make touch-pad scroll behave same way? I believe it have something to do with elan driver? 

The inconsistent scrolling between apps is frustrating.

I concur that EDGE has the most responsive scrolling, while Chrome, and Word are relatively sluggish.

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9550.

Microsoft, please transfer the scrolling experience from Edge to all other apps.

This is indeeed a real and very annoying problem. I've recently moved from an old 2011 macbook pro to a Surfacebook and honestly, i regret not buying another, newer macbook pro. Even the old one had the basics on point. Surfacebook has problems scaling its apps along with its higher resolution, the trackpad seems precise but it's so inconsistent it's a pain to work with.

Yes, I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 with a precision TouchPad and vertical scroll lags big time in Chrome browser, just right in Edge and a bit too fast in Internet Explorer. I've read similar complaints from Surface users using touchpads. Have tried some of the suggestions from disabling smooth scrolling in Chrome, and reinstalling touchpad driver. Another suggestion was trying Chrome Canary which is the Chrome beta. I did not see any change with that beta version. Firefox also seems to do much better with scrolling speed than Chrome. too me, this is certainly a Chrome issue for sure. I have seen several Chrome bug reports about this especially with Dell XPS notebooks, but I think it affects many precision touchpads. Not sure if Google is just ignoring this or if they are saying its a Microsoft Windows issue? For myself, since every other application works fine with scrolling, I am thinking Chrome has some sort of compatibility problem with Windows precision touchpads than other browsers. I pretty much can't use Chrome on my Dell simply because the scrolling is so bad.

I have a similar problem with chrome on a Dell XPS 15, I'm pretty sure it's impacting everyone using this laptop but most users don't care/know enough to report it.

To clarify, the touchpad scrolling is not slow performance wise (it's smooth and not laggy), but it's slow as in low sensibility, you have to swipe your touchpad full height multiple times to scroll one page height. In others apps or browsers the scrolling is working fine (probably around 3 times more sensitive than Google Chrome).

I think the problem is related to the Microsoft Precision Drivers (and Chrome obviously).

I have a similar problem with chrome on a Dell XPS 15, I'm pretty sure it's impacting everyone using this laptop but most users don't care/know enough to report it.

To clarify, the touchpad scrolling is not slow performance wise (it's smooth and not laggy), but it's slow as in low sensibility, you have to swipe your touchpad full height multiple times to scroll one page height. In others apps or browsers the scrolling
is working fine (probably around 3 times more sensitive than Google Chrome).

I think the problem is related to the Microsoft Precision Drivers (and Chrome obviously).

I have a new Surface Book, and am researching this horrible Trackpad performance in Adobe Bridge CS6. Scrolling with the mouse wheel works great, and using the trackpad on my old Lenovo X220 tablet works just fine as well. While I love the feel of this trackpad, it just doesn't work consistently across all apps, and is especially apparent in one of my main go-to apps, Bridge. I have to flick quickly up the whole trackpad to get a response, which doesn't work when I want to move just a little bit. When I move just a little bit, I may or may not get a bit of motion, and then it just stops. Why?? Very frustrating, and no apparent control in the driver settings or anything.

I find that I have two distinct speeds for scrolling on my Lenovo Flex 3. Also note that I only use the touchpad, and don't have a mouse. It's either smooth or incredibly fast. In Microsoft office apps except OneNote 2016, as well as web browsers (edge and chrome), surfing my files, etc., it is controllable and smooth, like I have it set to be. It is also responsive to changes made in settings.

However, in OneNote 2016, Spotify, iTunes, musescore 2 (a composition software online that's free), and other software, the scrolling is outrageously fast and uncontrollable. When I scroll the smallest amount possible, maybe an eighth of an inch or whatever the smallest recognizable amount is for it to register, it scrolls an absurd amount. If I go at the smallest increment, it goes about a page and a half in length, but if I slide any more it usually goes all the way to the bottom of the page.

I have tried a factory reset, as well as updating all drivers. Nothing has changed since I've owned the laptop since August of 2016. I'm stumped. Microsoft please patch this or help!

Just bought a Lenovo idea pad 720S 15" with Windows precision touchpad which starts to lag in response when I'm using Microsoft edge browser. When it's not lagging it feels great and natural. Already spent 2 days and couldn't trace anything as to what is causing this behavior. A lot of ppl suggested they killed a  background process called fmapp.exe 

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/14107-windows-10-mouse-lagging-3.html

i don't even have this process . So kind of lost.

Same here! They just help delete the touchpad device  and reinstalled it, still nothing change. And this is ANNOYING!  Very disappointed here. 
The scroll speed on my Sony Vaio using Chrome has changed drastically after a Windows update last night. Hate IT!!!! I just barely scroll with the mouse and it scrolls wayyyyy too fast now so I'm have to click on the little up and down arrows instead or it scroll way past the screen I need. ANNOYING!!!! Please change it back or tell me how to change it back.  Thanks!