virtual smart card not found

I have a "virtual digitalbadge" on my PC, which, I think, is an implementation of virtual smart card technology. I use it to set up a VPN to my partner company.

When I try to set up the VPN, I often get the message "select a smart cart device". Screenshot:

The Japanese text means "insert smart card". I can't proceed, since I don't know how to "insert" a virtual smart card.

I believe this happens consistently after hibernation; a reboot fixes the problem but is a very poor workaround, since it takes about 15 minutes until my PC becomes usable. Of course I could avoid hibernation, but I hibernate for a reason (i.e. I want to have the same programs running when I switch my PC on as when I switch it off).

The same happens whenever Internet Explorer wants to check the certificate on the smart card.

Is there a tool, a command, a registry entry, anything that helps me "inserting" the smart card without rebooting? Is there a log file or anything else to find out where the process is broken so that I can fix it?

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2018 Views 61 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Bernd,

We got your query about setting up a VPN connection using your Virtual Smart Card. This issue is more complex than what is usually answered in Microsoft Answers forums. For you to be assisted accordingly, we recommend that you post this query in the Microsoft TechNet Forum as there are available IT Professionals who can best handle this kind of scenarios.

Should you have other Windows concern, feel free to contact us.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.