USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports very slow and unstable after Windows 10 2004 version

Hi Everyone! 

I'm very new on this forum so, apologises for any error from my side!

I have a self builded PC with the ASUS ROG Strix B350f-Gaming with the newest BIOS version (5603). I had to format my Rig and took the opportunity to perform a clean install of Windows 10 2004 version (media creation tool was used). All the drivers are the most recent drivers present on the Asus' support website. I realised that My USB 3.0 and 3.1 ports are VERY VERY VERY SLOW. Sometimes it works well but, in the most of time, the copy speeds are ~20-30 MB/s; Sometimes, the copy speeds go down to zero MB/s and stay that way for a while.

I have a question: Can this problem be caused by the latest USB drivers? They are very new!! In the link below, an user had problems with this driver and rolled back to te previous one.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-xhci-stopped-working-after-windows-10/ca680975-8e67-4484-805b-ee0488eef902?tm=1601673999478

The USB Driver version are the showed on the images below:

Can i install the old drivers for perform a test? 

Thanks in advance for you all,

Lucas Costa

(1) Here are your USB devices in Device Manager compared to mine...

None of mine have Rollback Driver capability (Reverter Driver) which would be the cleanest way to revert. And only the "Intel 8 Series..." on my list has a choice at "Properties, Driver tab, Update Driver, Browse my computer, Let me pick"...

And that isn't an older version of Intel's driver. It is the generic Microsoft driver that may not have full capabilities. And my "USB 3.0 eXtensible..." has only this...

No choice but what's already installed. So, I'd say, there is no really clean way for you to revert to a prior AMD driver.

What hbazan did in that other thread was to revert to a prior version of Windows itself. That's at "START, Settings, Update & Security, Recovery,  Get Started (under 'Go back to the previous version of Windows 10'). But it's only there for 10 days...

(2) Maybe try what I posted in the other thread. Sounds scary, but may shake things back up into shape. Here is an article, I said,...

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-code-39-errors-2623185

How to Fix Code 39 Errors

It sounds scary (I'd hate to do it), but I've seen others (even Greg) suggest what it suggests...

"If a USB device is generating the Code 39 error, uninstall every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers hardware category in Device Manager as part of the driver reinstall. This includes any USB Mass Storage Device, USB Host Controller, and USB Root Hub."

I'm referring to item 4 on the list at that site. You would uninstall each driver under Universal Serial Bus Controllers & then reboot. It probably is a good idea to make a restore point first, in case an automatic one isn't made. Type "restore" into Search, & click "Create a restore point".

Note: That is a 3rd-party site. It looks informative, but I know nothing (bad or good) about any links or downloads that are there (or anywhere else).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 17, 2024 Views 2,157 Applies to: