Touchpad disables when on battery

Hello,
on Lenovo ideapad 100S-11IBY after last Windows update my touchpad gets disabled when laptop is on battery, when it's plugged in and charging everything works well. I can enable touchpad with shortcut on F6 key, but after few seconds of not using the touchpad, it disables by itself. I also noticed that I can enable touchpad by clicking the physical left or right click below it, but not by tapping the touchpad. Also, I think it has something to do with Power Management, but when I go to Manage->Device Manager->Mice and pointing devices->HID-compliant mouse and go to Properties, I don't have the Power Management tab there. Drivers are up to date, and there are no mouse drivers on Lenovo support page.

I ran out off ideas, any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Answer
Answer
I think I finally found a workaround that works with my computers that was impacted by this bug. I found it on the Lenovo forum, on another thread (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/EN-win10/thread-id/5560/page/3). The described method is specific to the Lenovo model but it can be easily adapted to others computers too. Here is what I've done:

1) Run regedit as administrator
2) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\
3) Search for EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled
4) Change the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled DWORD value from 1 to 0 (make a .reg export as a backup before if you want)
5) Search again and repeat, until you find a key outside the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ key
6) Reboot

And voilà, my touchscreen and touchpad works well, even after a reboot, shutdown, deepsleep...!

As said in the Lenovo thread, this "patch" should not survive a driver update or a system restore, but at least it can be done again if needed, until Microsoft provides a real fix.

Yann

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2023 Views 5,743 Applies to: