The graphics driver shows as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” after upgrading to Windows 10

After upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, my display adapter driver in Windows 10 is showing as the “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” instead of the specific driver for my graphics card, resulting in poor graphics quality.  Why did that happen and how do I fix it?

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2019 Views 302,016 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

During the upgrade, Windows searches for the best Windows 10 driver for your machine.  In a small set of circumstances, it may not be able to immediately find that driver at the time of upgrade.   In these cases you may find that your Display Adapter is listed as “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.” 

Windows will scan for and install the proper driver in a short period of time after the upgrade, depending on internet connection availability.  

If you find that you are in this situation and want to get the proper driver more quickly, you can launch Windows Update and scan directly for updates to find the latest driver.

454 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Ethan,

To help you with your concern regarding your graphic card for your Windows 10 PC, please refer to the helpful post of Sudharshan M K by clicking this link: How to update Graphic card drivers in Windows 10?

For further troubleshooting, please access the post of Andre Da Costa MVP using this link: Windows 10 Upgrade = incompatible graphics card.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

200 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.