Question

Q: Text cursor stops blinking after a few seconds

In most of the applications the text cursor stops blinking after a few seconds. The time, after it stops depends on the application.

In Start Menu, when you type "Change cursor blink rate", the "Keyboard properties" settings dialogue appears. In this dialogue I have the "Cursor blink rate" set to default. I did not change it since Windows installation. With these settings I got the following results.

Notepad Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.
Windows Explorer Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.
Total Commander Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.
Microsoft Office 2016 Cursor stops blinking after 30-32 blinks.
Microsoft Edge, inside Google search box Cursor stops blinking after 10-11 blinks.
Microsoft Edge, inside URL bar Cursor stops blinking after 5-6 blinks.
Firefox (in URL bar, also inside web pages) The cursor did not stop after 50 blinks. Seems to work OK.

I am using Windows 10 Enterprise, Version: 1709, OS Build: 16299.431.

Please fix this bug. The text cursor should blink contantly.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Hi #......#,

Sometimes this problem can occur due to your mouse driver. I would suggest reinstalling its driver to check if this is the case. Here's how:

1. Press Windows key + X and choose Device Manager from the menu.
  2. Locate your mouse, right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
  3. When the confirmation message appears, click Uninstall.
  4. After doing that, your mouse will be disabled. Using the keyboard keys, you can navigate to Action > Scan for hardware changes. If you can’t open this menu with your keyboard, simply restart your PC.

After doing that, your mouse will be detected and you should be able to use it again. If the issue persists, see if an updated version of the driver is available. For more information about updating drivers in Windows 10, click here.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 30 Last updated: July 2, 2018 Applies to: