Specific keys on laptop keyboard are failing

The keyboard on my laptop failed to type some keys. I removed one of them and cleaned it but didn't fix. Sometimes they work, but they mostly are failing. The keys that are failing are also in different zones of the keyboard. Assumed it was electronic issue, so replacement is needed. In the meantime tried some workarounds.

I tried Windows' troubleshooting or updating drivers, but to no avail.

I tried Regedit and then Sharpkeys to remap, but it triggers no changes.
I tried UnifiedRemote keyboard but it fails exactly the same as my physical keyboard.

I use on-screen keyboard and it works, but very very cumbersome to type with mouse, obviously....

I am about to buy an external keyboard but am afraid that it will also have the same problem, since UnifiedRemote does.

So it seems the issue is not electronic after all, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers as to what could be the problem, or to help make my remaping work.

I'd aprecite any help in fixing the issue or resolving a workaround like getting Regedit to work, or assurance that the external keyboard will work. I need this keys to be able to work.

I don't know where else to request help...

Thank you in advance.

Windows 10
Asus X556U
European keyboard
Failing keys:
  • KeyA
  • KeyQ
  • Tab
  • Backslash
  • Digit1
  • Numpad0
  • fn
  • (one of the keys is just behaving weirdly...)

Hi Goma,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

Laptop keyboards eventually require a replacement in the lifetime of the device. It isn't a cleaning issue, instead an electronic component one.

These are the standard steps and if it doesn't help, ultimately replacement is required. A USB keyboard would always work if you are not willing to go for a replacement.

Press Win+I Keys to open Settings.
• Go to Update and Security>Troubleshoot menu.
• Look for Keyboard trouble-shooter. Run it and see if it finds issues.
• When done, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that doesn’t help,
• Right click Start.
• Choose Device Manager
• Expand Keyboard.
• Right click the keyboard
• Select Uninstall
• Restart your computer.

• If it is a wired keyboard, try connecting it to a different USB port or another computer.
• If it is a laptop Keyboard, try connecting a spare keyboard to isolate if it is a hardware problem.

• Also make sure the chipset and BIOS is updated.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sumit, thank you for your quick response. 

Unfortunately, as I stated in the originl post, I have tried Windows' troubleshooting, with no changes.

Also, I believe it is not an electronic issue because otherwise the solution from https://www.unifiedremote.com/ would be able to type my missing keys. Further more, when Itried to remap my missing keys using Regedit or Sharpkeys, it triggered no changes.

Also because of this reason, I'm still afraid that an external keyboard might also not work, as I assume it will send to the computer the same commands as the https://www.unifiedremote.com/'s product does.

I have tried uninstaling the keyboard's drivers, andchecking for updates.

I have no spare keyboard available.

Windows is updated.

Tell me if there is any further information I can provide.

Regards,

Vitor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>>I use on-screen keyboard and it works

Well, I can't comment about Unified Remote but if the OSK works, 99% chances your device keyboard is at fault. We see these cases every day. To confirm it, borrow a friend or a relative USB keyboard for a while which should confirm the same.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To confirm it, borrow a friend or a relative USB keyboard for a while which should confirm the same.

Well I went to a computer store, ready to buy an external keyboard, but tried it first, and the same keys were failing.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2024 Views 481 Applies to: