Sound Card Can No Longer Be Selected After Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Hi Everyone,

I have a strange problem I was hoping people could help with; after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my sound card no longer functions and it looks like Windows no longer recognizes the card correctly. 

Relevant System Config:

- MSI 790FX motherboard with Integrated Realtek Audio

- Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer running Windows 10 drivers

I had been using the SB X-FI card for audio prior to the update and all had been working fine.  It looks like what happened is that during the update, Windows noticed the Realtek Audio and installed a generic Microsoft driver ("High Definition Audio Device") for it and set it as default audio device.  This is partially my fault as I had forgotten to disable motherboard audio in the BIOS.  The error on the taskbar simply said no speakers connected (which was accurate the speakers were plugged into the X-FI). 

I figured the simple fix was to simply set the X-FI as the default audio device again.  However the card no longer appears in the Sound Settings list.   Formerly it had 3 entries in the list showing the different ports available for output.  After the update only the SPDIF output appears and I can't seem to use the analog. 

I tried reinstalling the X-FI driver and had no luck in getting Windows to recognize it.  According to device manager all is good, although oddly enough the "High Definition Audio Device" persists.  For now I installed the Realtek driver so I have audio and plugged the speakers into that card but i would really like to get the X-FI working again.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks,

-Nick

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2020 Views 3,281 Applies to:

Hello Nick,

I appreciate your time, and efforts In resolving the issue.

I suggest you to download the sound card driver from the manufacturer website, and check if it helps.

Refer the below link.

http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=sound+blaster&prodID=14066&prodName=X-Fi+XtremeMusic

Do let us know the update. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Pratiksha,

I have reinstalled the driver with no success, the system still does not recognize the sound card correctly.  I will try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the card as a next step.

-Nick

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with many others with this update. Was this even in beta?

Many, many problems. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem.  I cannot install updated drivers because when I execute the driver update it says it cannot locate a compatible device (despite the fact that the sound card (X fi) shows in the device list.

This happened before when I first upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago.  It's absolutely criminal that Microsoft would release an update that does the same thing again.

I also lost an entire program that I was running in Dropbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had similar issues with Soundblaster Z. Sound was muffled except for bass. I updated driver. Uninstalled Device and restarted. Nothing seemsed to fix this. Logitech USB headset works fine. Realtek onboard sound works fine. Soundblaster Z still bad. I had searched the web for hours trying to get this fixed and every entry from Microsoft support just says update drivers/uninstall-restart.
The way I fixed it on my side (not saying it will work for others but hey it's worth a try) was to plug speakers in to the onboard sound (RealTek) run sound then unplug from RealTek and back in to the SB. I opened the Creative Dashboard and checked some settings (it had defaulted to 5.1 so I reset to Stereo) and everything worked fine.
Get your act together Microsoft. You guys need to get serious about actual testing and about giving your tier one guys some actually useful info to help us fix this. I should NEVER have had to experiment to fix this. This problem has been all over the web for over a month now and still no fix on the Support site. Tier1 giving a pat standard answer (reload drivers) is about as useful as ......... well my 80 year old mother could have suggested that. You guys are pathetic.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, I fixed mine a similar way.  First I started using the on board sound card.  Then I unplugged my Soundblaster X fi, restarted the computer.  Then shut it down, plugged the SB card back in, then restarted.

After it started, I went to Sound/Speaker Properties/Advanced section and fiddled with the 24 bit/32 bit options, and it started working.  It took 3 hours out of my day to fix this.

I completely agree with your assessment of Microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Install daniel_k XFI_SupportPack_3_7 driver pack.

It's THE solution :-)

Philippe

Sorry this didn't help.