Select GPU to use by specific applications

I have 2 GFX cards installed: GeForce GTX 1060 and Radeon HD 6670. Both are working fine as I plugged in different monitors to different cards to be sure about it.

I want to force some applications to use Radeon HD 6670 instead of GeForce GTX 1060, but I can't find a way to do it. I've found that in Windows 10 you can switch GPU for applications in Graphics Settings between Power Saving and High Performance, but both options are using GeForce GTX 1060 for me.

Is there other way to select GPU for specific applications, or an option to change Power Saving GPU?

|

Hello Keyvis,

Windows 10 version 1803 added the Graphics settings that can modify which graphics card is to be used for each app.

1. Click the Start button, type Graphics settings and then hit Enter.
  2. Choose between Classic app or Universal app (Windows Store Apps).
  3. Select desired app and then click Add.
  4. Select the app from the list and then click Options.
  5. Set the graphics preference for the app and then click Save to complete.

If you're unable to modify the preferred graphics preference using the method above, you can try to access the graphics program for each graphics card, Nvidia Control Panel, and AMD Radeon Settings. I suggest visiting the device manufacturer's support website for assistance on how to use their respective program to modifying the preferred graphics settings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

6 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Keyvis,

Windows 10 version 1803 added the Graphics settings that can modify which graphics card is to be used for each app.

1. Click the Start button, type Graphics settings and then hit Enter.
  2. Choose between Classic app or Universal app (Windows Store Apps).
  3. Select desired app and then click Add.
  4. Select the app from the list and then click Options.
  5. Set the graphics preference for the app and then click Save to complete.

If you're unable to modify the preferred graphics preference using the method above, you can try to access the graphics program for each graphics card, Nvidia Control Panel, and AMD Radeon Settings. I suggest visiting the device manufacturer's support website for assistance on how to use their respective program to modifying the preferred graphics settings.

Let me know if you have other questions.

I've said that I've tried it, and explained that for me specific GPUs are not available to select there. I have only available Power Saving and High Performance presets there that are set for the same GFX card (GeForce GTX 1060) for me, that is system default too. In NVidia on AMD settings you can only switch between integrated and dedicated GFX card, not between 2 cards especially from 2 different vendors. So, how to assign different GFX card to Power Saving preset? Or how to unlock option to select specific GFX card there besides those 2 presets?

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've read that Win10 can mix and match, but this is the first I'd heard of someone using dedicated AMD and Nvidia graphics cards simultaneously.

- Are you using the AMD card to run some games that don't run with the Nvidia card on Win10 (I have two games that run on

AMD, or Intel HD, but not on Nvidia) ?

- I believe power plans only come into it with Laptops. Laptops use Optimus software to automatically switch from Integrated gpu,

which would be running on a low power plan to prolong battery charge.  When a 3D game/software is launched Optimus

detects that and automatically switches to the dedicated gpu and high performance power plan.

I believe laptop motherboards or BIOS are also built specifically to function with Optimus (or the AMD equivalent).

- With desktops Windows will always select the gpu that is connected to the main monitor (assuming the gpu is functioning properly).

The only way to force a secondary gpu that I am aware of is to enable only Display 2 when you want to use that card.

"In NVidia on AMD settings you can only switch between integrated and dedicated GFX card,"

Interesting. I don't have this option. Maybe because I have my Intel HD connected to Display 2 ?

Or is it an option in the Geforce Experience  (I don't use the Experience) that is not available in Nvidia Control Panel ?

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've read that Win10 can mix and match, but this is the first I'd heard of someone using dedicated AMD and Nvidia graphics cards simultaneously.

- Are you using the AMD card to run some games that don't run with the Nvidia card on Win10 (I have two games that run on

AMD, or Intel HD, but not on Nvidia) ?

- I believe power plans only come into it with Laptops. Laptops use Optimus software to automatically switch from Integrated gpu,

which would be running on a low power plan to prolong battery charge.  When a 3D game/software is launched Optimus

detects that and automatically switches to the dedicated gpu and high performance power plan.

I believe laptop motherboards or BIOS are also built specifically to function with Optimus (or the AMD equivalent).

- With desktops Windows will always select the gpu that is connected to the main monitor (assuming the gpu is functioning properly).

The only way to force a secondary gpu that I am aware of is to enable only Display 2 when you want to use that card.

"In NVidia on AMD settings you can only switch between integrated and dedicated GFX card,"

Interesting. I don't have this option. Maybe because I have my Intel HD connected to Display 2 ?

Or is it an option in the Geforce Experience  (I don't use the Experience) that is not available in Nvidia Control Panel ?

I want to use NVidia card for games and AMD card for "desktop" app (especially Streamlab OBS). This way I can have uncapped FPS in games, without scene composition degradation in Streamlabs OBS near to 100% GPU usage, that is a typical problem with only a single GFX card: it's east to do with dedicated + integrated GTX card, but should be also possible with 2 dedicated GFX cards. I've checked that Windows graphics stack support it, by writing a small application that selects to run on 2nd (AMD) GPU by itself, and all was working perfectly fine. I just need find a way of changing default GPU for applications that don't have an option to select it, so probably something like 99% of applications.

About NVidia Optimus configuration: you should have this option available in "base" NVidia Control Panel, when selecting settings for specific applications (3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings -> Program Settings -> Select the preferred graphics processor for this program).

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"but should be also possible with 2 dedicated GFX cards."

It seems like a batch file or similar command, as you mentioned, should allow you to force the software to run on the AMD card,

but I wouldn't know how to set it up. Something a simple as a command added at the end of the file path in Streamlab's shortcut

Target box, as is often done in games for various things.

I'm not sure if anyone on these forums will have used dedicated AMD and Nvidia cards together,

so you may find a solution on the AMD or Nvidia forums.

[EDIT: Then again they only have to have used two cards,not configured with SLI/XFire to know how it works].

- Might want to try the  -  Technet forums -   as well.

"About NVidia Optimus configuration: ...."

Nope! I guess it only shows if using two dedicated gpu's ? There is no 'preferred gpu' option with my Nvidia and Intel HD

(I checked with the second display connected to Intel HD on and off ). Using an GTX980.

I've never used two dedicated cards and thought that option was limited to laptops, but obviously, when using two cards

independently you would need to be able to select which card a particular program runs on, so the option should be there with

two cards installed.

I'm  thinking the preferred gpu option not working with your setup  could be to do with your two cards using different drivers,

so neither driver knows about the other card ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When I was searching for a solution: it's a "typical" problem with 2 dedicated NVidia cards too, it's not card vendor specific, but Windows Settings related. Option to select preferred GPU is actually not available with 2 dedicated GFX cards, that's why it's so tricky to make it working even with 2 NVidia cards for example. It's only there in integrated+dedicated GPU configurations, so I'm not sure why you don't have it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't believe I've ever seen that option in my Nvidia settings, and I've only ever used Control Panel.

I just swapped cables, so both gpu are on the same monitor and still no preferred gpu option.

I was thinking earlier that maybe the option was new to the 1000 series, but edited that out.

[ I edited my last post about 20 times. One about 3min after you. All over the place with that one. :D ]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2021 Views 11,678 Applies to: