Seeking an mp3 player that will accept Windows Media Player playlists.

My Philips Go Gear Vibe and my new Sony Walkman will not accept Windows Media Player playlists.
I preformed the usual procedures: connect the device, drop and drag to sync list, start sync, wait for it to finish, disconnect device when prompted.  When I look for my playlists, they aren't there.

On the Go Gear Vibe, I was updating existing playlists.  It simply deleted those playlists.  It added new songs, but removed the playlists.
The Sony Walkman won't accept .wpl playlists at all.  They had me download Sony Music Center, but it will not recognize .wpl playlists for import.

My Philips Go Gear Vibe still has some playlists on it, I just can't add any new or updated ones.  I'm weary of doing anything with it at this time.

What mp3 players are most capable of receiving Windows Media Player playlists from Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 10?

Hi,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding this issue like compatibility of the file format to your device. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• Have you tried exporting audio file manually?
  • Have you also tried the files on your device?

We also suggest that you disable antivirus and transfer the files and contact your manufacturer to verify what audio file format is compatible with your device.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding this issue like compatibility of the file format to your device. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• Have you tried exporting audio file manually?
  • Have you also tried the files on your device?

We also suggest that you disable antivirus and transfer the files and contact your manufacturer to verify what audio file format is compatible with your device.

Update us with the result so we can further assist you.

Did you read my message?  It answered both questions.

The audio files [.mp3] made it to the device.  It's the playlist files [.wpl] (to play the audio files in the order I want them to play) that don't get there, and they are file path specific.  (so copy and paste with the playlist files won't work.  I've tried it.).
I looked for the playlists on the device (as I mentioned in the previous message) the playlist files already on the Philips were deleted when I tried a new sync to update and the playlist files didn't make it to the Sony.

The sync process, as it was when it still worked, converted the .wpl file to a .pla file and during that process it presumably changes the file path so that the player is looking for the audio file at its location on the device and not at its location on the computer.  Something has changed this.

Playlist files cannot be made on the devices.  They have to be made on the computer and synced to the device.  It worked until Windows 10 came along.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If we are not mistaken, you are transferring files in bulk. We suggest that you try transferring the file one by one to check if the issue is with the file or your device.

We also suggest that you contact your device manufacturer for more option on how to add audio that will work with your device.

Let us know the result and if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I'm not mistaken, you are just copying and pasting from a manual.
You have probably never used Windows Media Player or know what a playlist is.
I want a response by someone who actually knows what I'm talking about.

Transferring a playlist requires transferring all of the songs in the playlist along with the playlist itself.  I want to sync a playlist to my player.  This is not a device problem.   This is either a Windows Media Player problem or a Windows 10 problem.  I was hoping you knew of any current mp3 players that could sync with playlists on Windows Media Player 12.  Microsoft has to send the manufacturers something so that they can make the software for their devices to interface with Windows Media Player and Windows 10.

[By the way, all recent Microsoft software is poorly designed.  Outlook.com is too slow to function.  Microsoft Edge is pretty much unusable.  Microsoft doesn't know how to make anything good anymore.]

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

It is true that the challenges that you are experiencing with your playlists that were exported from Windows Media Player may be caused by the application itself. Let us go ahead and run the troubleshooters for Windows Media Player to diagnose if not resolve the issue that you are having. Here are the steps on how to do so:

1. Click on the Start button.
  2. In the Search box, type Troubleshooting and press Enter.
  3. Once the Control Panel window comes up, click on View all on the left navigation pane.
  4. Select Windows Media Player Library on the list and follow the on-screen steps in running the troubleshooter.

Should you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Your path to the trouble shooter is in error.  For one, there is no "search box" in the Start menu. [I'm on Windows 10]

The correct path is "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\Programs"

According to the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter, the media library is corrupted.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since the troubleshooter provided a result that the Windows Media Player is corrupted, here are the steps on how to resolve it:

1. Press Windows + R button on your keyboard.
  2. Once the Run command comes up, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player and press Enter.
  3. Delete all the files on this folder.
  4. Restart Windows Media Player. Dong so, should enable the Windows Media Player to automatically rebuild its database.

Should you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried it.
I still can't put a playlist on a portable media player.  All I will ever have on this computer is a corrupted library.

And not only did this reset the Windows Media Player database, but also the file properties in Windows Explorer.  Now I have a lot of manual reconstructing to do.  And it didn't accomplish what I wanted.

So, an .mp3 player won't accept playlists anymore.  What will?  Can I just find a chap laptop and copy and paste to that (with an external hard drive set to the same letter so that the playlists are referencing the same drive).

[Also, why did the Windows Media Player preview pop-up seem like a good idea to you guys?  It's in the way.  Multiple people are having issues with that one.  We want ALL previews in the preview pane, not in a pop-up that hides everything.  Lately, Microsoft has been one epic fail after another.]

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since running the Windows Media Player troubleshooter did not resolve the issue, we suggest that you run the Microsoft easy fix solution. This tool should automatically fix any underlying issues with your Windows 10 computer and its components.

How to use Microsoft easy fix solutions.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And what "easy fix solution" do I use for this issue?  That's just like telling someone "use a tool" as a opposed to "use a screwdriver" or "use a hammer".  I don't know what easy fix solution will solve this issue.  I need a specific file name to look for at a trusted source.

This issue has already taught me that there is no such thing as an "easy fix".

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2021 Views 3,191 Applies to: