Seagate expansion portable drive not recognised by Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (home basic)  my external portable drive is not recognized. I was using the same in Windows 7 without any problem. Do I have to install a driver for Seagate expansion portable drive (500gb). If so kindly provide the link to download the drive. I could not find any help in Seagate's web site hence this request.
Answer
Answer
Hi Vedantham,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

We understand that your external drive is not recognized on your Windows 10 system. We’ll certainly help you with this.

Try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. 
 Hardware troubleshooter reviews, diagnose and identifies operational or technical problems within a hardware device.   
 1. Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel
 2. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting. 
 3. Click on Hardware and Devices. 
 4. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: I suggest you to install an updated device driver. To check whether an updated driver is available, follow these steps:
 a. Press Windows Key +R and type devmgmt.msc to open Device manager.
 c. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers at the left bottom.
 d. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on Uninstall to remove it. Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
 e. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Let us know if the problem persist, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 574 Applies to: