Question

Q: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB drive with Windows 10 stopped working

I have a Dell XPS (L502X) laptop with Windows 10 Pro. (Previously running Windows 7 Ultimate) Approximately 24 hours after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro my Seagate Backup Plus Desktop drive has stopped working. When the drive is connected it causes Windows Explorer to freeze. Looking at the device driver in Device Manager it shows a default Microsoft driver from 2006 is installed. How to update this device driver? When I run troubleshooter Windows says this is the recommended driver.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I will be glad to help you.

I suggest you to try this methods and check if it helps:

Check if the device is detected in Device Manager.

Follow the steps given below to check the status of the device in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
  2. Seagate Backup Plus 4TB and right-click on the drive.
  3. Select Properties and check if the device is working properly under Device Status.

If there is a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in it, then it indicates that there are some issues with it.

Method 1: Windows Compatibility Center 

Check if the external disk is compatible with Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/compatcenter/home

Method 2: Run the Hardware Troubleshooter

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with hardware.

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

Method 3: Un-install the USB drivers.

Follow the steps given below to un-install the drivers.

1. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers and right-click on each USB controller.
  3. Select Un-install.

Restart the computer. This will re-install the USB drivers. Check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, update the Chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist

Thank you

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Besides Windows 10 not recognizing the drive it appears that by having it connect to the computer when it was upgraded corrupted the drive. I have not been able to restore the drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

The link to the Hardware Troubleshooter indicates it is not compatible with Windows 10! Really?

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time.

Sorry this didn't help.

I fixed my problem. I have a Seagate Backup Plus that wouldn't show up after I downloaded Windows 10. I uninstalled the "Paragon" software driver from uninstall programs menu in computer and re-downloaded it from Seagate website. WORKS PERFECT NOW! http://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/goflex-pro-for-mac/backup-plus-mac-software-master/

Sorry this didn't help.

77 people were helped by this reply

He told you that he was working with Windows 10 and you sent him to Mr. Fixit which is a GREAT tool, but is not compatible with Windows 10!!!  I miss Mr. FixIt!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with a Seagate Backup Plus (USB 3.0) external drive. Method 3 above worked perfectly for me - thanks!  One word of caution to desktop PC owners (I have a Dell XPS 8700) with wireless keyboard and mouse like me.  Be sure to un-install the Universal USB that connects the wireless keyboard/mouse to the PC last or before you start, plug in a wired keyboard and mouse if you have them.  I got lucky - after I un-installed the "Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)" universal USB, I lost control of my wireless keyboard and mouse.  I shut off and turned on my PC manually and all of the universal USB drivers I had un-installed re-installed, was able to use my keyboard and mouse and got access to my Seagate drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have a Seagate Plus Slim drive I bought before my PC crashed and was forced up to Windows 10.

I was about to open the box and install the hard drive, but the messages indicate problems.

I went to the compatability site linked above, and it is actually a Windows 10 selling site, if you try to use the support, etc links, it seems to come back to the page that will sell you products for windows 10. 

Sorry this didn't help.

My Seagate Backup Plus stopped working when I upgraded to MS 10.  My Seagate Dashboard said the software (4.021.0) was up to date.  My troubleshooter said the device was working properly. I FINALLY went to Seagate's website, which  indicated that Seagate Backup Plus works with MS 10 ONLY for software versions 4.2.x or later.  Soooo....guess I am out of luck with being able to use my existing backup drive.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with the Seagate Backup Plus drive.  Reinstalling the Paragon drivers didn't work for me, nor did changing to generic USB drivers.  Here's what worked for me:

Opened device manager and uninstalled the device

On the computer name at the top, I right clicked and selected Add Legacy Hardware

Clicked Next

Selected "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list"

Selected "Digital Media Devices"

Next

Choose Model "Digital Media Device"

Next

On "The wizard is ready to install your hardware" finish up the prompts to complete the install

I think it scanned for the device and added it, but I may have scanned for hardware changes. 

In the end, Device manager now shows a digital media device and Explorer shows the Seagate Backup Plus Drive where I can see my files.

After doing this, when I rebooted the computer I got a black screen that said "Bootmgr not found".  When I disconnected the Seagate Backup drive it booted just fine.  I plugged the drive back in, went into the BIOS and found the Seagate Backup drive first in the boot order, I made it the last boot device.  I can reboot now with the drive connected.  So far things seem to be working.

Sorry this didn't help.

Kudos to you!  This finally worked after I uninstalled everything I could find on my Surface 3 remotely related to Seagate.  Then I went to Seagate's site & reinstalled Dashboard, rebooted Surface 3, set up a new backup plan on Dashboard which -- after 2 hours -- backed up my selected files.  Yahoo!  Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 18282 Last updated: December 12, 2017 Applies to: