Realtek RTL2832U TV USB Dongle not working with Windows 10

I have a Toshiba P870 64-bit processor laptop and a Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T TV Tuner dongle.  This worked perfectly with Win7 64-bit using Media Center, PrestoPVR and other software.  However, after upgrading to Windows 10 64-bit, the TV/PVR software can't find any channels after scanning.  I've tried 3 or 4 TV/PVR products and all have the same result.   I believe that it is the Windows 10 driver that is the problem.  Even if I install the vendor's driver, I believe that WIndows Update will overwrite it with an "official" version that doesn't work.

Has anyone encountered the same problem?  Is there a solution?  Will Microsoft eventually produce a working driver?

Thanks

Roger

Adelaide Australia

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do you get any error message?

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below, and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Type Troubleshooting in the search box next to Start button, and select the top most search result.

Step 2: Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.

Step 3: Select Hardware and Devices, click on Advanced option, and check Apply repairs automatically option.

Step 4:  Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2:

If you haven't tried, try connecting the USB dongle to a different USB port and check if it fixes the issue. If the issue persist, connect the dongle to the port, go to device manager and uninstall all the USB drivers. Then, restart the computer to reinstall the driver (make sure that the dongle is still connected):

Step 1: Connect the USB dongle. Check if the device is getting detected under Device Manager.
Step 2: Press Windows + X keys and select Device Manager.                       
Step 3: Right Click on all the USB devices and select Uninstall.
Step 4: Restart the computer, and Windows will reinstall all the USB drivers.

I would also suggest you to update the latest driver for the USB Dongle from manufacturer website.

You can also refer to the following article for more information Why isn't Windows finding my device? (Applies to Windows 10 also)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,
Microsoft Community.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, and thanks very much for your quick reply.

There is no error msg.  Each of the apps appears to be working ok except that a scan of TV channels returns nothing - no channels found.  As I said before, the dongle worked perfectly with several software apps under Win7 but won't work with Windows 10.  I see from searches that many people have exactly the same problem with their Realtek RTL2832U devices.

Thanks for all your suggestions but I have tried every one of them already.

If I try to install the original CD drivers, or any other drivers that other users have found, Windows tells me that "my driver is already up to date".

Device Manager shows Driver Version 64.1.304.2009.  I am sure there are more recent versions available but Windows 10 insists on using 64.1.304.2009 - maybe something to do with other driver versions not being approved or certified??

I have sent emails to Realtek and to PrestoPVR (who supplied the dongle) but no response.

Are Microsoft likely to produce a more up-to-date driver that will work?

Thanks

Roger

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Further Update:-

I have found information relating to this problem on other forums.  A couple of items from apparently informed users follow - I would be very interested in your thoughts on these.  Both solutions seem to have significant down-sides.  There must be a better way!

1st Item:

The problem getting it to work with Win10 is that default Device Installation Settings allows Windows to install or update with wrong drivers.
Installing the correct drivers after Windows has installed the wrong drivers does not fix the problem.

If Windows has installed the wrong drivers, you can unplug the Dongle, run a Window System Restore to a time before the Dongle was plugged in to the USB port, turn off the Auto Device Driver Update feature in Win10 (Device Installation Settings), plug the Dongle back in and install the correct driver from the supplied Driver CD or the above link.

The Realtek devices with wrong drivers appear in Device Manager under "Sound Video & Game Controllers" and Human Interface Devices" (2 devices), they look OK in and appear to be working.

You may be able to uninstall the wrong drivers from Device Manager before installing the correct ones but I haven't tried that.
Running the System Restore, turning off driver updates in Device Installation Settings and installing the correct drivers gets it working!

2nd Item:-

Search Windows settings for "Device Installation Settings" and turn Win 10 device driver auto updates off.  
Turning it off stops Windows continually overwriting correct working drivers with wrong not working drivers.
No need to turn Windows Updates off.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue and we appreciate the time and effort you have put in to resolve the issue.

If the Windows update has failed to register and download the requisite drivers for the device, you can also use the vendor id of the device and look for it in the PCI Vendor and Device Lists.

FAQ: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Unknown and uninstalled devices will be listed under Other. The device will have a yellow alert symbol on it. The properties for the device will show that no driver was found.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/where-is-device-manager

(Also applies to Windows 10)

Under the Device Properties, select the Details tab and scroll down to Hardware IDs. Each Hardware ID is comprised of some very useful information. The VID value provides the vendor ID and the PID value provides the Product ID of the device. Make a note of the PID value. Enter the PID value in the search box of Update Catalog. In cases where you have multiple device types listed, narrow down your search by also adding in the VID value.

Once downloaded and extracted, you can point Device Manager to this driver to install the hardware.

Please keep us posted on the status of the issue. If it still persists, we would be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sayan_Ghosh and thanks very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far searching the pcidatabase but I have made significant progress!

On the assumption that it is Win10 Update that is overwriting the working driver(s), I set my WiFi connection to "Metered" (to prevent auto-updates) and removed my Ethernet cable.

I then uninstalled my Realtek RTL2832U driver, checking the box to delete driver files.  I then unplugged and reconnected the TV dongle.  Windows then selected  driver version 64.1.523.2011 WHICH WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

I tried unplugging/reconnecting the dongle, I also rebooted the laptop, and everything still worked perfectly.

Later, after reconnecting my Ethernet (thus resuming the capability for auto-updates), Windows reverted to driver version 64.1.304.2009 which does not work.  I also received a pop-up telling me there had been hardware changes and I should reboot.

To confirm what had happened, I repeated all of the above and got the same results.

The problem would therefore appear to be - how can I force Windows to keep version 64.1.523.2011 ??

I took screenshots of the Device Manager displays (Driver, Driver Details, and Hardware IDs).  The working and the Failed setups are identical except for the Hardware IDs.  The Failed IDs are USB\VID_0BDA&PID_2832&REV_0100 and USB\VID_0BDA&PID_2832.  The working versions are exactly the same but have a suffix of &MI_00 on each line.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now that I know that it is Windows 10 that is choosing to overwrite the working driver (64.1.523.2011) by an older, non-working driver (64.1.304.2009), I have gone into Device Installation Settings and changed the setting to "Never install driver software from Windows Update".

It seems stupid to have to do this but it's the only way I've found to make the device work under Win 10 as well as it did under Win7.

I guess I'll need to turn "driver update" back on from time to time to see if Windows finally has a working driver, as well as to ensure that all other drivers are up to date.

I'm not sure whether this temporary workaround qualifies as a solution.  I don't feel that I should mark this thread as "Answered" but will take advice on this

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here and same solution,  Win10 Update is overwriting the working driver(s) 64.1.523.2011 which works perfectly with 64.1.304.2009 that doesn't work at all. Why ???

Also it seems that latest Win10 update 1511 process reverted back that bad driver 64.1.304.2009 thay I had previously manually fixed.

Please Microsoft definitely fix this issue !!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Windows 10 update-behaviour is an administrative desaster.

TH2 just made it complete, by disabling the possibility to prevent driver-updates.

It's also the reason why Windows 10 became unusable in various enviroments, administrated by me.

But hey, Microsoft. I got the clue for the next generation of Windows!

Just wipe out the Keyboard/Mouse-Support and implement an algorithm, wich just knows

what I want to click or write next. I mean, seriously, we're nearly in 2016. Using input-devices

is so 90's. There shouldn't even be power-switch on computers anymore, these days!

How hard can be, that the computer just knows when I want to turn it on or off?!

Adressbars in browsers and all that 90's stuff... just remove that bloat!

A good browser knows which page to open, even before yourself do!

Well, that was just some professional hints, to help pushing Windows forward to world's leading OS,

for the next couple of years. And that propably also makes all other OS's obsolete. So, think about it!

Thank you Microsoft, for the New-Age-Windows, introduced with Windows 8.

Windows 11 hopefully realizes the Must-Have-Features above, we're all waiting for!

Greetings

Happy Customer :)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Device Installation Setting to stop Windows 10 installing driver software from Windows update was removed and driver updates turned on again after the last version update in November, so windows continually updated the working 2012 driver to a not working 2009 driver again.

This is how I got it working again:
In Device Manager, Under Sound Video & Game Controllers, Right click the Realtek 2832U Device then click "Update Driver Software",
Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software",
Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

A 2012 Realtek 2832U driver should be on the list if you have previously installed the correct Realtek driver package. Select the Realtek 2012 driver, click Next to install the driver, the dongle then works and the 2012 driver remains installed.

If you can't see a 2012 in the Device Manager driver list or if windows is blocking the install of the 2012 driver, uninstall the 2832U device from Device Manager and delete the driver files. Then install the 2012 driver from its setup file. After Windows updates to the wrong 2009 driver,  the 2012 driver will be in the driver list in Device Manager. Go to the list and re-install the 2012 driver. Windows does not re-install the wrong 2009 driver after that.

TV works ok with driver version 64.1.521.2012 dated 21-May-12 but DAB & FM are not working!
I now have diver version 64.1.801.2012 dated 1/08/2012 and everything is working.

I got the newer drivers from the Treiber2.zip file on this page: http://www.ukwtv.de/cms/downloads-as...eas-gsinn.html

I had to reinstall version 64.1.801.2012 using the "Update Driver Software" button in Device Manager after windows updated to the wrong 2009 driver again, as described above.

If your interested in the DAB Player on that driver download page, see here: http://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-dab-player-rtl2832u/

Looking for Windows 10 compatible TV software, see here: http://sichbopvr.com/

Original Win10 & Realtek 2832U thread is here: http://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread...k-2832u/page3/

These threads apply to RTL2832U/R820T & R820T2, not the E4000 or other versions.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft, please update the driver in Windows Update.

The one provided and the one which forces its install over the never one form 2012 is the old one 2009 which does not work with Win 8.1 nor 10. This is pretty annoying.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ScopedViewRedirect.aspx?updateid=e60c9cec-668a-4733-90b9-66b50ed09db1

The only working driver is 64.1.801.2012 dated for 01.08.2012 (dd-mm-yyyy). It gives a user full access to the device's features (TV, FM and DAB+).

P.S I wrote to Realtek support but no response for 5 months.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2021 Views 71,796 Applies to: