QuickBooks can't complete the current action due to a missing component

Suddenly having multiple Windows 10 1909 users have issues with creating PDFs in QuickBooks Desktop 2020. This feature depends on Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 printer and it is not longer working and neither is Microsoft Print to PDF. I tried to repair using QB repair tool, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth , tried sfc /scannow , tried remove and add back using Turn Windows Features on or off and it removes them, but then presents an error 0x800f0922. Nothing fixes it, which leads me to think it's a bug in Windows. I've also noticed recently that V4 printer drivers seem to be breaking on many of our PC's as well which I think is related because I believe both the Microsoft Print to PDF and Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 printer use these types of drivers.

This seems to have happened in the past week (today is 4/24/2020). Tried uninstalling latest cumulative update, but still having the issue.

Anybody have any solutions aside from resetting Windows. Do not want to reset 10 or more different PC's that were working fine.

Did you get anywhere with this?  Seeing the exact same problem that cropped up in May for my user.  He's using QB Enterprise 19.

I was able to do a System Restore a couple of times to fix it, but Windows just kept updating and I can't roll back anymore.  

I tried all the same things and still never got anywhere.  Right now, it only seems to be affecting one user, but I'm not sure what versions / builds of Windows the other QB users are on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been using a "work around" by printing the invoices to a file and then opening that file and sending it.  I fought like heck to even be able to get that far, and if I even ATTEMPT to email one from Quickbooks, immediately I lose my ability to even print an invoice to file.  I noticed that Chrome has been acting up for me today. . . only shows full screen, if I attempt to run it in a window, it drops to the task bar and won't restore easily, so, I switched to Edge and discovered I cannot print at all from Edge.  Anyone have a piece of paper and a pencil?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm running Quickbooks Premier 2019 and was running fine through April. Then in May the Microsoft XPS Document Writer disappeared as a printer for no apparent reason. At the same time I started getting the missing component errors in Quickbooks. I ran through all the suggestions I found and nothing worked. I can't email or save as a file any PDF for Invoices, PO's, Reports, nothing! I have to print the document, then scan it using my printer to a file and send it. It looks like **** and so unprofessional.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an open case with Microsoft, but they are very slow to respond and do anything about it. I'm trying to move up the support chain to get to an engineer. I already had them connect and look at the issue and gather info.

The easiest way to work around for now is to uninstall the latest cumulative update when it gets installed.

Also If you are using Windows 10 Pro you can go into Group Policy and delay updates for several weeks.

Or for now you can more easily pause Windows Updates here:

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

EXACT same thing here, and of course, QB blamed it on Microsoft, I restored to an earlier setpoint and worked and worked to get at least my basic ability to print back, had to stop the print spooling, enable some windows components, restart the print spooler, yada yada, I have fought and fought to just be able to print to PDF.  At this point, I am printing to PDF and then using my email to send those, so you might try that.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same thing here. Been working on the issue since April. Haven't found the (permanent) fix yet. Gahhh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I forgot to update here. Microsoft has finally confirmed this is a bug and is working on a patch that will be in an upcoming Cumulative Update. Its hit or miss, but all my QB users have upgraded to the June Cumulative Update for Windows 10 and most worked fine afterwards, but some had the problem and I uninstalled it. Then I needed to reinstall the CU for Microsoft to gather diagnostic data, and after doing this uninstall/reinstall a couple times, eventually the issue went away.

So either uninstall the CU and pause Windows Updates until a new CU comes out. Or you can try installing the update, see if it is broken. If it is, uninstall, then reinstall and check again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks very much for the info!

Unfortunately, the issue still occurs with the June Cumulative update installed.

It's the strangest thing: if I roll back the update, the issue is fixed, even if the update re-installs automatically. But as soon as the next month's update arrives, it's broken again.

For now I am telling users to Print to PDF, which seems quite fine to me but they are understandably  frustrated that the issue persists after months. I guess we are on Microsoft time waiting for the fix. I won't hold my breath!

Thanks again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It WILL get fixed, at least they have confirmed it is a known issue now and are working on it. Previously I have been working with them to document the issue. So there will be a fix, unfortunately that means more waiting for now.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. Please update here if you can if you hear any additional info.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 4,972 Applies to: