printer only prints 1/4 of the page on each sheet - its an HP deskjet J610a and i cannot print any PDF files emailed to me

printer is wonky all of a sudden.  only prints about 1/4 of the page and i cannot print any pdf files at all. its an hp deskjet J610A.  

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, Connect your Printer to the computer and Switch it ON. In case of Wireless printer, Switch it ON and connect it to the Wifi network.

Option 1. Run troubleshooter provided by Windows OS
Type Troubleshoot in Windows Start Search box > Click Troubleshoot > On the right side, Click Printer > Run the troubleshooter

HP provides a tool for HP printers to troubleshoot - HP Print and Scan Doctor. Download it, launch it and follow the onscreen directions to locate problems and fix them (Credit to Andre Da Costa, MVP for the suggestion)

Download Link - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

Option 2. Update Printer Driver
Windows Key+X (Or right click on Start) > Click Device Manager > Expand Print Queues > Right click on entry below > Click Update Driver Software > Click Browse my computer for driver software > Click Let my pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > Choose the driver > Click Next to update

If this does not work, select Search automatically for the updated driver in place of Browse my computer for driver software > Restart your computer

Option 3. Uninstall and reinstall the Printer (Credit to Andre Da Costa, MVP for providing steps)
A. Uninstall Printer
Click on Windows Key+X > Apps and Features > Scroll down and click Programs and Features > Select your printer > Select Uninstall
Type Printer in Windows Search box > Printers & Scanners > Select your printer > Remove device
Type Printer in Windows Search box > Click Printers & Scanners > Scroll down and click Print server properties under Related settings > Under Driver tab, look for your printer > Select it and click Remove button at the bottom

B. Install Printer
Go to the Printer manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers > Reinstall the Printer driver > Reboot the computer
Type Printer in Windows Start Search box > Click Printers & Scanners > On Right side, Click Add a printer or scanner > If Windows detects your printer, it will be listed > Select the printer and follow on screen directions to set it up (In case of Wifi printer, your computer should also be logged into Wifi network)
If Windows doesn't detect your printer, then you will get a blue message - Click The printer that I want isn't listed
If you are using Bluetooth / Wirelss printer > Select Add a Bluetooth, wireless or network discoverable printer > Choose the printer > Select your Printer and follow on screen directions
If you are using wired printer > Select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings > Select Use an existing port > Select your Printer and follow on screen directions

Option 4: Clear Spooler
Type Services in Windows Start Search Box > Click Services > Scroll down to Print Spooler > Right-click and choose Stop for the Print Spooler service > Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS. You can also type %windir%\System32\spool\PRINTERS into the address bar in Explorer if the C drive is not the default Windows partition > Delete all the files in this folder > Services console and right-click and choose Start for the Print Spooler service

(Source - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/401540...)
Sincerely yours,
Vijay A. Verma @ https://excelbianalytics.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Good morning Linda,

I searched for J610A and it also populated 3050, is this your printer? https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservic...

If so, we’ll move forward with troubleshooting! There are a few things we can do to try to get this back up and running, but I want to make sure I have the right model first. Also, is it only PDFs giving you trouble, or is it all file types (web pages, word docs, etc)

Look forward to hearing from you!

- C

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,
I am Sumit, an Independent advisor and a Microsoft MVP here to help. Regarding your issue the first step would be to
Right-click Start and select Run.
In the Run dialog box, type in control printers and press OK.
Locate your printer in the Printers section, Right click it and select Printing Preferences.
Please see if the Settings are not changed, something like Scaling(You might have to choose Advanced Settings)
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 10,960 Applies to: