Printer Drivers Invalid since updating to Windows 10 v1803

NOTE - Please don't offer a generic fix without reading the things already tried... Thanks!

Hardware:  HP Elitebook, i5cpu, 8gb ram, 200 of 300gb free
Win10Pro 64bit.  On 5/12/2018, updated to winver 1803, os build 17134.48

Laptop is connected to Xfinity router via Wifi, BRother HL2270DW and HP 309g are connected to router via ethernet cables. All devices have been restarted.

Since updating to Win10 v1803 two weeks ago, all printer drivers are seen as invalid. (Both here and at other locations.) (Other computers print to both printers fine.)  In Control Panel Printers, status of printers is "driver is unavailable".  Apps say, "could not start print job" .  "Print Test Page" says ""the specified driver is invalid".  Troubleshooter says everything's fine.

I tried uninstalling the printer software packages & drivers, and even tried using "printui /s /t2" in win10 DIAGNOSTIC boot mode - and it still said unable to remove the INF file. (Update – I successfully removed the drivers via the printui command, including the INF file, but this did not help)

Still, I tried several re-installs of both printers (TCP/IP conn to static IP, WSD port to auto IP, no diff) -- the result is the "driver is invalid" message goes away, replaced by "status-not connected" -- but the OTHER "driver" messages remain.

NOTE - I wanted to try a USB connection but didn't have the cable - will return. (Update – I tried with the USB connection and it did not help)

HOWEVER - I'm guessing that this is a Windows 10 v1803 issue. But can't be sure.

Thanks for any help!

Answer
Answer
Based on your post on printing, I think that the Microsoft Virtual Agent can help you troubleshoot your issue. It'll walk you through the right troubleshooting steps based on the specific problem you're facing.

Please let us know if this solved your issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2020 Views 8,312 Applies to: