Not Enough USB Controller Resources Windows 10 version 1809

Hello, and sorry for the long post. 

I decided to upgrade my motherboard and processor after 4 years, and after installing the Aorus x470 and R7 2700x, I couldn't get more than 3 USB 2.0 devices to work at the same time. After hours of frustration and phone calls to Gigabyte, AMD, and Microsoft support, the best advice was to reinstall Windows 10 Home and Pro, multiple times. Still, the problem persisted. 

Concluding that the new hardware was malfunctioning, I decided to change back to my old hardware (Gigabyte GA-B150M and I5 6500), and reinstalled my copy of Windows 10 Pro. Note that this is the hardware and OS that I was running before, and never ran into this problem, even after using 4 USB 3.0 devices and 6 USB 2.0 devices. I also never updated my copy of Windows in the past, so I was probably running on a 17xx version, not 1803 or 1809. After reinstalling my old hardware, the problem persisted. I still cannot get more than 3 USB 2.0 devices working at the same time, which is frustrating and detrimental to my work. 

I have tried all sorts of driver updates, BIOS updates and flashing, Windows power options, registry editing, etc, etc. I have not been able to find a solution. My problem seems to be fairly unique, as googling has not been super helpful. I am not sure how I still have this problem, even though the hardware is the same as I had 2 days ago. The only difference is the Windows version, and the associated drivers. 

Is anyone else having the problem, and found a fix? Is it a problem with Windows, or something else? 

The devices I am trying to connect are: 

Mouse

Keyboard

DAC/AMP

Microphone

Flash Drives / External HDD

Any combination of 3 work, more than 3 causes static in the headphones, on/off cycling, etc. 

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I would suggest you to update the chipset drivers of the motherboard as there is a possibility that drivers are not up to date. Please update the drivers from manufacturer’s website. Also check the power options for USB in BIOS settings.

If the issue is specific to a certain port, then try following the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article: USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device. Please follow the generic steps mentioned in the above article.  Avoid making any registry changes.

Regards,

Naresh Kumar
Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have updated the motherboard to the latest chipset, F20g, and the problem persists. xHCI hand-off can be either on or off, and I still cannot connect more than 3 devices. The problem is not only on certain USB ports, but systemwide. The motherboard has 4 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports on the I/O, and another USB 3 and USB 2 port on the front of the case. They all work individually, but if the system has more than 3 devices, the "USB Controller does not have enough resources for this device" pops up. Also note that all of these ports and devices functioned with no issue last week, and for years prior. 

I have spent all weekend trying to fix this, to no avail. Clean installs, other peoples hard drives, BIOS updates, Chipset updates, driver updates, etc. I am starting to lose hope. 

Thank you for trying to help me. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing back. I appreciate your time and patience.

I would like to thank you for providing the information on the steps you have provided. According to the information, it seems that the problem comes from the total amount of power being drawn from the USB devices exceeding its capacity.  Here are few things that you can try:

1. Try using regular USB 2.0 ports instead of 3.0.
  2. Try using a docking station or USB Hub with its own power source so that it does not draws the power from Computer.
  3. Disabling the XHCI Mode Option from BIOS setting.

Regards,

Naresh Kumar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will try using a powered USB hub over the weekend. I'm saddened by the news that I need a hardware solution, when last week I did not need anything. 

Is there a way to "roll-back" to a previous Windows Edition? If I wanted to run Windows 1803 instead, how would I do that? 

Thanks! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying back. I appreciate your time and patience.

For a limited time after upgrading to Windows 10, you’ll be able to go back to your previous version of Windows. However, as you have reinstalled Windows operating system, you will not be getting that option. Unfortunately, the current build available for download is 1809. I would still request you to try updating the chipset drivers from manufacturer’s website and check if that helps.

Also could you confirm, if using a USB with its own power source fixed the issue?

Regards,  

Naresh Kumar

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated the chipsets and it didn't fix it. I ordered a new motherboard and processor, so now I am on an R7 2700x and a B450 Tomahawk. Everything was working fine as I was trying different devices, but when I plugged in my microphone (An MXL Tempo USB microphone) I began receiving the USB controller resources warning. When I unplug it, my devices work properly, but I receive the warning whenever I switch recording device. Specifically, even selecting the recording tab gives the warning, when my only connected device is an Fiio DAC-E10, which is not even a recording device. 

A powered USB hub did not help either. I am on a 650 80+ gold power supply, and the system should draw about 500 at max load. 

I think I will need a new microphone, whatever software is on this one does not agree with the current build of windows. 

UPDATE: Disabling the FiiO DAC-E10 recording device, while leaving the Fiio DAC-E10 playback device seems to allow my MXL Tempo to function normally will my other devices. Not sure why this fixes it, as the FiiO DAC-E10 recording device should not be drawing any power/bandwith, and even if it was, the motherboard should be able to handle 4 USB 2.0 devices plugged in simultaneously. 

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2020 Views 6,436 Applies to: