No Sound After Upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Dell Inspiron 660.  After upgrading to windows 10, I don't have any sound  AT ALL.  I've read post after post, and even tried some of the things mentioned in them to fix the problem - with no success.  Here is what is listed in the details of my audio:  Conexant Smart Audio HD  Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_50A1&SUBSYS_10280581&REV_1001\4&f73a71f&0&0201 requires further installation; and Intel(R) Display Audio  Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2806&SUBSYS_10280581&REV_1000\4&f73a71f&0&0301 requires further installation. 

Please help...we start homeschool in 3 days, and we need our computer.  Thanks!!

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2018 Views 6,953 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Found a solution on my Lenovo G50 in case it helps anyone.

Right click on the speaker icon on the right of the task bar. Choose "Sounds." Once that window opens, click on the Playback tab. Righ click on the Conexant SmartAudio HD. Choose properties. Choose the advanced tab. On the dropdown menu under Default Format, choose the last format: 24 bit, 192000 Hz. Play the test sound and you should be able to hear it (none of the other test sounds would play for me.) If you hear the test sound, click apply and your speakers should now work.

There's probably an easier way. I'm not a computer person. I'm just one of those refuse-to-give-up-so-I'll-keep-clicking-on-stuff-til-I-figure-it-out-or-get-lucky people.

Good luck.

Didn't work for me.  Instead, I went to same place, but used Enhancements tab instead of Advanced.  Once I checked "Disable all enhancements", my sound worked.  Inspiron 660

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have a solution that worked for my Inspiron 660.  Kudos to david36535 for his related post that put me on the right track.

Right click on the speaker icon on the right of the task bar. Choose "Sounds." Once that window opens, click on the Playback tab. Right-click on the Conexant SmartAudio HD. Choose Properties. Choose the Enhancements tab. Check the box titled "Disable all enhancements".  

Play the test sound by clicking the Preview button at the bottom right and you should be able to hear it  If you hear the test sound, click apply and your speakers should now work.

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't work for me either but I tried going to Windows 10 help and ran the troubleshooter there and that solved part of my problem. I now have my external speakers working but I have a 5.1 surround set of speakers which worked before I upgraded and all I hear now is stereo. I tried plugging the speakers the way I had them before but still no great sound. I have a HP Pavillion Elite computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I did what you said and now I have the sound back. If It did not work I  would have gone back to Windows 7. Thank you again

Sorry this didn't help.

open your playback devices then click properties .. then the far right tab.. you will see a drop down menu and 2 different bit styles @ 44100 .. 16 bit cd quality worked for me.. but if it doesn't for you just play around a bit 

Sorry this didn't help.

First it would be helpful, if you would check your device manager. This you can do if you type "device manager" in your Task-bar search option. Alternativly Google helps how to find the divice manager.

The red marked box display the audio-settings.

If there are Little triangular signs on the Speaker symbols there are errors. You can try to let Windows resolve them by rightblicking the Symbol where the error occures and select "actualize driver software". In the next steps you select the online search for a driver. If this alsao doesnt fix your problem you can download the Drivers from the Dell site.

Note: If there are no triangular symbols the drivers are working fine. In this case check if your speakers are connected and the volume is high enough. 

I checked the Dell homepage, there I found an automatic driver detection. Also I searched the mentiond product for you. The homepage says that your PC if working fine with Windows 10. After you found your product there you can dowload all requiered drivers manually. In your case it should only be the videodriver.

Sorry this didn't help.

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM ON MY SURFACE PRO 2

After much playing around with the sound properties, and uninstalling the drivers in device manager , and failing to run Windows Update,  I went to the Realtek site to download the latest 64 bit drivers for HD Audio. The installation file uninstalls the existing drivers , installs the new drivers and voila! It works.

Now I only have to deal with the wifi drivers stopping and windows update freezing and I m ay consider using Windows 10. So far its a bust and don't care for it. Just one more Microsoft product full of bugs that forces you to waste a lot of productive time trying top fix. <[~]>

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an HP Pavilion dv6841eo, and unfortunately I cannot get the sound to work, either. It's a Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221, and the latest driver that Windows installed is 4.36.7.60. I tried installing the driver from the HP website, but that didn't work, either.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30CF&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30CF

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a Samsung Q330 that lost the sound after the installation of Windows 10. tried changing the default settings but doesn't work. any suggestions? I'm thinking of uninstalling Windows 10 and going back to the original.

Sorry this didn't help.

Works for me in  SONY VAIO  ... thanks .

Sorry this didn't help.