New PC has two monitor drivers in Device Manager, but only one monitor is connected, and I can't uninstall them

Hello,

I've reported this earlier, but I here it is again, updated.

I have a new Windows 10 PC, and a new Iiyama 4k monitor for it. There were multiple issues with setting both up (I couldn't get the monitor to work properly), and there was a problem with Windows (tiles missing), and Microsoft corrected this for me by re-installing Windows. 

I had a problem with the display being incorrectly configured for two monitors. I thought I'd fixed that, but in the Device Manager under Monitors there are nevertheless two monitor drivers, apparently identical, and so I'm really still stuck with this dual monitor configuration. As a result the monitor still won't function as it should (Display Port works, sort of, but HDMI is blank, when formerly the reverse was the case), and monitor diagnostics report that I have two monitors connected. Moreover, the drivers are 2006 vintage generic Microsoft drivers, and I think there should be one Iiyama driver.

I have, following earlier advice (thanks Andre), attempted to uninstall one of the monitor drivers in the Device Manager, and then both, so that the PC will boot up and install the correct Iiyama driver, but to no avail; after uninstalling both and restarting they simply re-install again. Any ideas as to how I get the PC to accept there is only one monitor, and get the correct Iiyama driver installed?

Screenshot attached, if that helps.

Regards, Julian.

Did you try uninstalling the display driver first, then try deleting the monitor?

Press Windows key + X
Click Device Manager
Expand Display adapters
Right click your display driver and choose Uninstall.

Check Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.

After the uninstall process is complete restart your computer and you’ll have your default driver installed.

Also, press Windows key + P then click PC screen only.

Try uninstalling the monitor from Device Manager again.

I also recommend you try booting into Safe Mode and perform the uninstall there.

Log out and go to the sign in screen.
Hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen.
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart.
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears.
Click Troubleshoot
Click Advanced options
Click Startup Settings
Click Restart
Press (4) to Enable Safe Mode
Wait while Windows 10 starts in safe mode.

Launch Device Manager then follow the steps to uninstall the monitor again.
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I did try all this and still have the original configuration - two monitors (one real, one phantom, although the details for both are identical). Both still have the same generic Microsoft drivers. 

I did notice that after performing the Display Adapter uninstall the two monitors were reduced to only one monitor. When I restart, the computer boots up into what looks like a Safe Mode screen, then goes blank for a few seconds, then the screen reverts to normal appearance.

I wonder if Microsoft could fix this for me?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 3,483 Applies to: