My app can’t access the camera or microphone since installing the April 2018 Update.

I installed the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, and now one of my apps that uses the microphone, camera or webcam no longer has access to it.  How can I resolve this problem?

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 8,503 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Microsoft believes in giving you better control over your Windows 10 device, and starting with our most recent update, we are one step closer to that goal. You may have noticed that after taking the update, your favorite apps no longer have access to your webcam and/or microphone. We have beefed up privacy settings in this update, and this could be related. Head on over to Settings > Privacy > Camera, and you will see that new apps like 'Camera' have been added to the list.  (Note:  Non-Store apps will not appear on this list.)

If you use a third-party camera app that was not downloaded from the Store, and you find you no longer have access to your camera, try flipping the toggle under "Allow apps to access your camera" to On.  Flip the 'all apps' and individual app toggles to your preferred settings.

Similarly, if you have lost access to your microphone, go to Settings > Privacy > Microphone, and try flipping the toggle under "Allow apps to access your microphone" to On.

If you are admin on your device, you should see an additional button at the top of the page. Clicking this button will launch an admin toggle that controls webcam/microphone access for all users of your device. We hope you found this information useful in resolving any camera errors you came across after taking this update. As always, you are welcome to drop us a line in the Feedback Hub.

83 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.