Mouse focus locked to one window shortly after starting an Adobe program

I'm having a problem similar to the one here about window focus. A little while after starting Photoshop or Lightroom, the mouse can only cause one window to be focused. It seems to happen less than 30 minutes after starting, whether the program is still open or not. The window that the mouse is bound to seems to be the one that's focused when the issue begins, although it's hard to tell. This persists across multiple desktops, so on all but one desktop, none of the windows can be interacted with. 

If I close the bound window, the mouse is stuck with the next active window. This is a mouse-only problem and affects both the trackpad and my wireless mouse. Disconnecting and reconnecting does nothing. The keyboard works completely fine. If I alt-tab to another window, and then click anywhere, the stuck window regains focus. Restarting explorer.exe does nothing.

The easiest solution I have is putting the computer to sleep and waking it back up. I'm looking for a way to prevent this from happening.

To reproduce, I open Lightroom or Photoshop, then use my computer normally for a while. The issue arises over 50% of the time.

Hi A.Irino,

One of the possible reasons that this issue occurs is due to outdated or corrupted mouse driver, or application issues. For us to isolate the issue, we’ll need the following details:

• Is this issue only occurs if you launch an Adobe application?
  • Is the cursor's focus only locks in Adobe applications or all applications (e.g. notepad, Microsoft office applications, etc.)?
  • Did you make any significant hardware or software changes to the computer prior to this issue?

As initial troubleshooting, we recommend that you run the Hardware and Device troubleshooter by following these steps:

1. Right-click the Start button, then select Control Panel.
  2. Change the View by option on the top-right to Large icons.
  3. Click on Troubleshooting, and click on the View all option on the left pane.
  4. Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If issue persists, follow these steps to update/uninstall drive:

1. Right-click the Start button, then click Device Manger.
  2. In the list of hardware categories, double-click Mice and other pointing devices and then double-click the device name.
  3. Click the Driver tab, then click Update Driver and then follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. If Update Driver is not applicable, click the Driver tab and then click Uninstall.

Note: If you uninstall your driver, just restart your computer for the device to be installed automatically.

If the issue is isolated with all Adobe applications, we suggest that you check for any application updates. If application update is not applicable, we recommend that you try to uninstall and re-install affected applications.

Update us with the outcome.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It'll probably take a while to reproduce, so I'll reply again if that happens. I did the hardware troubleshooter and it told me to restart, which is probably not going to fix it since I've done that before.

• I'm quite sure it's only Adobe applications that trigger it, but I am not sure what circumstances actually cause it, so it might be related to another application. 
  • The cursor gets stuck to whatever application is focused when the issue begins. I think it starts with the Adobe window and then gets transferred to another one when I close the Adobe one, but I'm not sure. 
  • I just got this computer, so yeah I made a ton of changes to it recently. The only hardware changes were installing a new hard drive and adding another mouse. The issue is for both the mouse and the trackpad though.

What happens when windows sleeps that could fix this? It's supposed to return the computer to the same state you left it in, but it must change something for this to get fixed by it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate you for getting back to us. As part of the troubleshooting, kindly make sure that you have already perform checking for any Adobe application updates that triggers the issue. If application update is not applicable, we recommend that you try to uninstall and re-install affected applications.

After putting your PC in sleep mode, is your device prompted to the sign-in screen? If it does, it might be that active windows will lose focus of the cursor and the sign-in screen will gain the focus of the cursor. That's why after signing in, your cursor focus will be back to normal.

We will be waiting for your response if the issue persists.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, it happened a couple more times, with the last time being a good 12 hours after opening Photoshop. I tried just locking the computer without putting it to sleep, and it did solve the problem, so locking does something to fix it.

I will try some more things and reply again.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just want to point out that I have the same issue with overwatch (game). Didn't happen before the april creators update.

Locking the screen and unlocking "fixed" the issue for me as well.

I feel like this wouldn't just be mouse drivers. 

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2023 Views 7,748 Applies to: