Joystick no longer working in games; MAJOR mis-communication with drivers suspected.

This problem just started earlier today.  My Saitek X-45 HOTAS controller has worked for me quite well ever since I bought it during the XP days, but today games seem to no longer recognize it properly. Only the throttle is being correctly translated, the X- and Y-axis and rudder are not, even though the whole controller is calibrated in joy.cpl.

Like I said, this problem just started today, without warning. The controller acts the same way regardless of the USB port used. It IS calibrated in joy.cpl and works normally through there. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for it, but that didn't work. I'm suspecting a corrupted driver, possibly related to KB3201845, being to problem. The update in particular since that was the only "major" install between yesterday and today, and even that update required several attempts before completing successfully.

I'm going to try uninstalling KB3201845 and getting back to you with the results.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2018 Views 335 Applies to:

OK, some new info since my initial post. First, KB3201845 is not the problem. I was able to confirm that much by uninstalling the update and saw the same problem from the X-45. Here's what else I've seen based the few apps I used so far.

Oolite (an open-source version of Elite): After calibrating the HOTAS in joy.cpl and starting Oolite, the controls were acting as if the stick was stuck in the lower-right area. The app did respond to the controller, but the "center point" of the stick was further up and left of physical center. The rudder was also off-kilter as its center point was left of center as well.

FreePIE and vJoy: I'm currently using FreePIE and vJoy to program my controller since Saitek no longer supports it in Windows versions above 7.  A script I made to monitor the axis controls confirm the observations from Oolite; The calibrated center point was further up and left of physical center.  I also noticed that vJoy stopped working with the script.

GlovePIE: Another controller programming application that I've used in the past. It has its own version of joy.cpl and I was able to calibrate the controller with it. My X-45 now works normally after using it.

It's odd that a third-party joy.cpl was able to correct a problem that the native version couldn't. Maybe joy.cpl is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi William,

To better help you with your issue in using joystick for Windows 10 gaming, we'd like to ask if the joystick has worked before in Windows 10.

If it is your first time to use the joy stick after upgrading, it is possible that it is a compatibility issue.

If it has worked in Windows 10 before, you can perform a system restore by following the steps on this link.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

The joystick has worked in Windows 10 before. I've been using it since XP and 8.1.

It is working now since reinstalling FreePIE and upgrading vJoy, not perfectly but it is working again.  The problems seem to be centered on using vJoy. If I disable that, the stick works normally.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've actually been able to fix the problem via device manager. Normally two entries for the X-45 appear under game and sound controllers (one for USB and one for HID). The problem occurs if only one entry is shown. I just delete that entry and have the device manager rescan for hardware changes. That gets both entries back and fixes the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.