Is there a fix for error code 43 on my NVIDIA GeForce 9200 Windows 10 display driver?

I've had a successful dual-boot setup on my Acer Aspire AX3400G-U4802 desktop PC, with both Windows 7 Home and Windows 10 Pro available at startup. Now, my Windows 10 Pro installation was automatically upgraded to Windows 10 Pro version 1709 recently and since then my NVIDIA GeForce 9200 on-board graphics card fails with the message, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I have tried various versions of the driver, even using 3DGuru's DDU uninstaller in between driver reinstallation attempts and it's been no use. I do have a dual-boot setup, so going back to Windows 7 does show me that all my hardware is fine. Also, prior to this upgrade to Windows 10 version 1709, whatever version of Windows 10 I had earlier was running just fine. However now my Windows 10 environment won't detect my second monitor and displays graphics very slowly. Do you know of a sure-fire correction to this issue? Like I said, I've already performed all the obvious, standard troubleshooting steps so I hope to hear something more honed to my issue.

PS: I'd like to add that after a restart, choosing Windows 10, and prior to the Windows 10 login, my mouse is able to travel across all my monitors, clearly suggesting that the state of the display drivers after a reboot is just fine--that is until the login screen appears, at which time the mouse cursor stops being able to travel between screens. Once I login and try to cause Windows 10 to detect the second monitor, I get the inline error message in red-text, "Didn't detect another display."

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

2 points.

First is that very few real "MS" employee participate in this forum, so there is no way of knowing if MS becomes aware of your posting. On the other hand, if you copy your statement above and post it to the Feedback Hub / UserVoice forum, someone at MS will see it.

WIN10- SEND FEEDBACK TO MICROSOFT WITH THE FEEDBACK HUB APP <WIN><F>
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402156...

Yes, recently MS released some recent updates that have been causing video issues. MS has identified and fixed issues specific to some ATI/AMD Radeon video cards, but I have not seen anything specific to NVIDIA.

Before the official fix came out, the work around was to uninstall the current drivers block the newest driver and install a slightly older one. This next link suggested a similar approach for an older NVIDIA problem with the same error code

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a....

Here is an article with a couple of power related alternatives I have not seen before for video issues:
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/solved-nvi...

Is there anything new in that article that you haven't tried yet?
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jose, your Display Driver will need rolling back . . . Windows Update has lately been installing incorrect display drivers . . .

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)
Expand the Display Adapters Section
Right click your graphics card, choose properties
On the Driver Tab, click 'Roll back Driver'

Close Device Manager and restart your system

If the rollback option is greyed out:

Right click on your display adapter, click 'Uninstall device'
Choose 'Delete the driver software for this device' then click 'Uninstall'
Restart the computer (myst be a restart, not a shut down)
Windows will then download the correct driver

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rolling back wasn't an available option and uninstalling the driver and letting Windows reinstall it never helped. I'm going to recover the previous version of Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One thing I'm thankful for is Windows 10's Recovery option to restore my previous version of Windows. Everything's back to normal now that I am back to Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.10240 Build 10240; my multi-monitor extended display setup is now visible and operational again. When I go to my NVIDIA driver properties, I see the following information:

Driver Provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 8/17/2015
Driver Version: 9.18.13.4181
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

If I go to the NVIDIA Control Panel by clicking the system tray icon, it says:

Driver version: 341.81

DirectX runtime version 11.0

This appears to be the valid working configuration I had prior to the recent Windows 10 upgrade to version 1709. Everything's fine now.
Unfortunately I do see the Windows 10 Update Assistant active again saying it's "Downloading" stuff again. Since I have Windows 10 Pro, I stopped the automatic updates via Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), so I hope whatever it's doing won't take effect! I hear the option is not available for folks without Windows 10 Pro, though!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, here I am and Windows 10 Pro has once again upgraded itself, now to version 10.0.16299 Build 16299--despite the fact that I stopped the automatic updates earlier via Group Policy Editor (see thread history; I used gpedit.msc per http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-disable-windows-update-in-windows-10/). I'm not going to state the obvious here (that this is frustrating!), but what's really bothersome is that the NVIDIA video driver that was perfectly working before has once again been removed and I'm back to the plain vanilla "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" driver. I don't use this PC very often but when I do I need it to be working! I saw an error when I first booted this morning titled "Trigger External Graphics Family", saying something about that a driver was already being installed and to click OK and wait for that to finish before reattempting this procedure, or something like that. I clicked OK. No driver seemed to be getting installed. I think none will, but I'll reboot in case Windows is actually trying to fix itself...BRB!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Rebooting changed nothing. The same plain vanilla "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" driver is still there and only one of my four screens is up and running, just as it was prior to rebooting. The code 43 display driver error I originally started with is not happening now but the screens aren't all up and running and that's just as bad. Of course, now, the current display driver isn't the NVIDIA GeForce 9200 that was originally reporting error code 43, but rather it's the plain vanilla Windows VGA driver. Proceeding to download the driver I previously noted was working prior to the Windows 10 upgrade (NVIDIA GEForce 9200 Version 341.81) from http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/341.81/341.81-desktop-win10-64bit-international.exe&lang=us&type=GeForce. I will attempt to reinstall it and report back. Hopefully this will also correct the missing "Coprocessor" driver I see in Device Manager, but that's only secondary for me right now. My main issue is Windows 10 Pro's recent update mechanism is disabling/removing my video drivers and causing three out of my four screens not to display anything, while leaving the main screen at the low 1024x768 resolution. Let's see if this GeForce 341.81 reinstallation helps...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

During installation, the NVIDIA GeForce 9200 version 341.81 driver successfully switched on all extended displays and I was able to move my mouse pointer freely and accurately across all screens according to how I had it all set up before--only there was a black screen, all my windows and desktop background were not visible during this time, and a blue circular progress icon kept revolving the entire time next to the mouse pointer. After several minutes, the sound of a failure event rang and the lock screen came up. I logged back in. A notification appeared saying, "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver." Needless to say, I'm not very enthused at this point. Seems there is a miss in the deployment of drivers for my particular machine, and I'm not sure whether the blame lies with NVIDIA or Microsoft. I have reported all this to Microsoft via the Windows 10 Feedback Hub accessible on the Start menu.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jose,

If you encounter the same error after installing the display driver, our next step is to uninstall and delete the current version of the display driver before reinstalling the NVIDIA driver. To do this, you can follow the steps below:

1. Type Device Manager in the search box and press Enter.
  2. Click the drop down arrow for Display adapters, right-click the adapter that has the problem driver installed, and then select Properties.
  3. Select the Driver tab.
  4. Select Uninstall Device.
  5. Check the box that says, "Delete the driver software for this device.” This step is important and will prevent the problematic driver from reinstalling in the future.
  6. The system may require a reboot at this point. Reboot if needed.
  7. Reinstall the display driver again and check if the issue persists.

Let us know should you need further assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Darwin, even after doing this, or using the DDU Uninstaller, the new driver keeps coming back later on. Windows 10 force reinstalls it later!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello! I am currently having the exact same issue, have you found a solution to this problem yet?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2022 Views 4,818 Applies to: