Intel HD Graphics 4600 - No Sound being output despite being detected & Choppy Video Playback

Hi there, I've got fairly big issues with my Windows 10 install lately (despite being on the insider preview for 8 months and it working fine....which is annoying). This matches similar issues on the forum (should I have replied there instead of here? Sorry it wasn't fully clear and some places separate each person into their own thread):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/graphics-and-sound-problems-with-windows-10/fd90e3ca-c5d4-4f4a-9d81-4b1610bb3d2e

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/no-sound-from-hdmi-output-windows-10/3e56b57e-df47-49d6-8dcb-268969fc00f4

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/hmdi-out-to-xbox-one-video-playbackaudio-issues/6ead18e3-f6e9-4be7-bbde-a4f4296c0167?rtAction=1438569403599

I have a laptop that has integrated (Intel HD Graphics 4600) and discrete (Nvidia Geforce GTX970M) graphics. Up until the past few days (not sure when exactly as the problem is hit and miss until yesterday, when it fully stopped). 

When I hook my laptop up to the TV via HDMI, after it correctly setups up the displays and detects the TV in the sound playback settings:

• No sound will come through 99.9% the TV speakers, despite it showing in Sound, being set as the default device and the green bar showing activity.
  • However, very occasionally, I can hear an audible click when I start to play something as if it's connecting. Very rarely (like, once), I managed to get 5 seconds of audio.
  • When the HDMI is set as the default playback, video (in particular, hardware accelerated video, I'm presuming) will playback very choppily. If internal speakers are set, it's fine.

I have tried both the latest graphics version from Intel (15.40.4.64.4256) and the one via Windows Update (10.18.15.4256) after uninstalling the latest one. Unlike one of the other threads, neither of these worked. Unfortunately, Intel do not offer any other Windows 10 drivers and I cannot install any for Windows 8.1.

I have also tried running the sound troubleshooter, which only told me to set a default. Ended up setting my internal speakers again. Useless.

I have verified the hardware works just fine by running a quick speaker-test in an Ubuntu live CD. The internal speakers also work just fine.

All in all, I don't think there's anything I can do unless anyone has any suggestions? Please fix these drivers ASAP.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2019 Views 3,202 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We are glad that you have chosen Windows 10. I understand that you are facing some trouble regarding your system audio.

I appreciate that you have tried a few troubleshooting steps. Please let me help you resolve the issue.

As I can see that you have already tried updating the latest graphics version from Intel (15.40.4.64.4256) and the one via Windows Update (10.18.15.4256).

I suggest you to download and install the latest Nvidea Graphics driver from the manufacturer website and see if it works.

I hope the information helps. If not, please feel free to replay with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Aswin,

Thanks for the response.

I'm already on the most recent NVidia driver version according to both Windows Update and NVidia graphics (353.62) (No beta ones are available either). From what I can tell at the moment, there are no problems with the NVidia discrete graphics card. Just the Intel one.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm experiencing the exact same issues with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Windows 10.

1) No sound over HDMI. I have occasionally been able to get some sound, but the channels were all wrong.

2) All video playback in any application is choppy.

This was working fine on Windows 8.1, and I've also tried the Windows Update drivers, and the Windows 10 drivers from Intel. Neither solved my problem.

Unfortunately as this is our primary way to watch TV/movies I have been forced to downgrade back to Windows 8.1, where everything is working perfectly again, rather than persevere.

Once this issue is fixed by Microsoft/Intel then I intend to upgrade again as Windows 10 looks very nice.

Sorry this didn't help.

Many users like myself have this issue, you can read about it our HP forum for instance, but also Dell and Intel. There seem to be two problems:

- The Intel driver is not perfect

- Microsoft has a problem with the versioning.

Because of the first it takes me a lot of work to make the driver work, but it can work.

Because of the second, Microsoft forces a seemingly newer but in reality older driver on the system, since updates are mandatory.

So guys: know that you can make this work, but also know that it is not worth the effort. Hopefully Microsoft and Intel will sort it out soon. For now most people's advice is not to upgrade to win10 if you are dependant on audio over HDMI with an Intel (4600) chipset.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any update to this? I've tried the newly released drivers since my last forum post but they still don't work either.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I am having sound issues on Win10 as well.

I have an ACER 5740 (was running Win7). Upgraded the ACER drivers some time back and sound worked perfectly through HDMI onto main TV. I have now upgraded to Win10 on same machine and the sound has gone. I have tried to reinstall the VGA graphics from ACER, to override the Win10; but to no avail.

And there seem to be no Win10 fixes yet...thoughts anyone??

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue, but not on Notebook, I'm on Desktop, only the HD 4600 intel graphic card is available. No sound output. It used to work but stopped I dont know how, neither when.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue. Latest Win10 build and Intel 4600 graphics from the i5 4440 CPU. All drivers up to date. Everything was working fine in Win 8.1 Now there is no sound from my desktop to my Onkyo receiver.

Sorry this didn't help.

For sound problems have you tried this?:

Right click on volume>choose playback devices>choose speakers>click properties>Enhancements>add a tick to the disable enhancements box.

Enhancements is the 3rd tab along for me.

Virginia - Time Lady.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I've tried, I've tried also disabling HD 4600 driver and then uninstalling the Monitor driver and renabling HD 4600, seemed to work for some people but for me had no effect.

Sorry this didn't help.